Newfoundland....in Lincolnshire??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newfoundland....in Lincolnshire??

A recently found ancestor shows up on the 1851 census as being born in "Newfoundland, Lincolnshire" - the image is here though I believe I've read it correctly:

Do you know where this is? - I can't find any trace of it anywhere!

Thanks for reading!
    Kind regards,
    William
    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

William, I think there is a Newfoundland near Spalding in Lincolnshire, and also one near Louth, Lincolnshire, Regards Del.
    Last edited by Del 80; 08-01-12, 13:29.
    Researching, Clarke, Calvert, McDowell, McCreadie, Paton and Scott families, Scotland and Ireland, Ayto, Eato, Eatough family, Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire.

Comment

Thanks Del - that sounds promising...particularly the one near Louth. However, I still can't find them - do you know any more detail??

Thanks again!
      Kind regards,
      William

Comment

Found a couple more, in Lincs. Have a look on Google maps William, Regards Del.
        Last edited by Del 80; 08-01-12, 14:06.
        Researching, Clarke, Calvert, McDowell, McCreadie, Paton and Scott families, Scotland and Ireland, Ayto, Eato, Eatough family, Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire.

Comment

Looking at googlemaps http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl it does bring up to markers for Newfoundland Lincolnshire but I can't see a place name for that.
          Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret - that's happening to me too.
            Kind regards,
            William

Comment

William, Had a good look around Louth for Newfoundland, can't find anything on it, probably it was a tiny hamlet that no longer exists, there were loads of them in Lincolnshire, perhaps someone with more local knowledge will pick up on this, and know exactly where it was/is. Regards Del.

Comment

There is a cattery in Louth named Newfoundland. I wonder if it was formerly a large house and that is where he was born?
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I wonder if you browsed the 1841 for the enumeration district descriptions in Lincolnshire whether it might mention Newfoundland - it's obviously a place that doesn't exist any more.

Margaret

Comment

I've tried Margaret & Chrissie's suggestions - thanks - but they're not going anywhere at present.

I've now managed to find her on the 1861 and 1871 censuses...

1861 says, intriguingly, that she was born in "Newfoundland Lin"...but with the Lin scored out.
                    1871 says she was born in Skirbeck Lincolnshire.

I've only got the most basic Ancestry sub at present - I wonder whether someone could do a quick search to see whether there is any sign of an Elizabeth Dawson arriving in the UK from Newfoundland sometime 1788-1808? There does seem to have been some migration in both directions at that time.

Many thanks!
                    Kind regards,
                    William

Comment

Working...
                    X