Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old British money - what does L stand for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old British money - what does L stand for?

Have come across this in Scottish and English documents. A small letter l next to an amount?

Anyone know if it means pounds?

Thanks.
    Liz

Yes, L was used for pounds. - L S D = Pounds shillings and pence.
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Linda - I learn something every day on FTF . Had forgotten LSD...many thanks.
      Liz

Comment

Don't get it confused with the other LSD - or perhaps you have!!
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Now now Uncle John...Being born just after the war, I should have known LSD but never tried drugs although I did grow my hair and skirts long at one point in the seventies .
          Liz

Comment

Libra Solidus Denarius
            Gold Silver Bronze

I think!
            Kind regards,
            William
            Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Libra means a pound weight and 240 (silver) pennies weighed a pound.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by wulliam View Post
                Libra Solidus Denarius
                Gold Silver Bronze

I think!
                Partly right - those are the latin words that LSD stand for but are names of coins/money amounts not the words for gold silver and bronze (which would be aurum, argentum and aes)
                There was a roman bronze or copper coin called an aes and the silver denaius was worth 10 of these.
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

It just came to mind as I was writing on another thread, we also use Librae as pounds in weight, but abbreviated to lb! How is anyone ever meant to guess that lb is pronounced "pound"? At times like that you have to feel for people whose second language is English!
                  Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

I wonder whether 1 lb of silver (or gold?) used to be worth £1??
                    Kind regards,
                    William
                    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Well, yes, it was - 1lb of silver was made into 240 coins, so 240 pennies made 1 lb of silver, lol. It has always been an offence to deface coinage, but people used to cut bits out. Also, the vast majority of the population didn't use standard coinage and there were many local variants of coinage before about 1500.

Gold standard wasn't introduced until the 16th century (I think), probably about the time banking started.

OC

Comment

Really interesting contributions...thank you...does anyone know when we stopped used L and started using £ sign for pounds?
                        Liz

Comment

The £ sign is an L in old handwriting, but with the cross bars to indicate that this is used as an abbreviation. I've come across it in old (18th century) wills but don't know how long it has been used.
                          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I have seen Wills and inventories pre 1500 which use "l" after a sum of mony, so 20l would mean £20. I think the crossbar and putting the L in front of a sum of money,(rather than after it) came into being again when formal banking started and currency was regularised, at least for formal and commercial use.

I should have said above, that the expression "The pound sterling" is from the fact that a pound of money had the value of a pound weight of sterling silver, but of course it is many a century since we had silver pennies.

OC

Comment

I read somewhere that "Sterling" came from "Easterling" - a reference to silversmiths who'd come from lands further east - like Holland.

The cross-line (sometimes doubled) is often used for currency abbreviations e.g.:
                              €uro
                              £ Libra/Pound
                              $ Dollar (not quite sure what the background to that one is - probably in Wikipedia!)
                              ¥en

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine

That may be correct. Sterling was used to describe silver before it was used to describe money. Sterling silver is silver which has a legally required amount of silver content and I think (from memory) silver was legislated long before currency.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                                  The £ sign is an L in old handwriting, but with the cross bars to indicate that this is used as an abbreviation. I've come across it in old (18th century) wills but don't know how long it has been used.
                                  Thank you Judith and for everyone's contribution...been v. interesting.
                                  Liz

Comment

As a pure aside. If I type a dollar sign (upper case 4) e.g. $ $ $ does it come out as a pound sign on an English computer or as

a dollar sign ? Our keyboards do not have the pound symbol on them any more.
                                    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Whatever you type on your keyboard comes out as whatever you typoed on your keyboard, lol.

You probably do still have a £ sign, you have to fiddle about with caps lock I think, to get it. My keyboard doesn't have a dollar sign.

OC

Comment

I'm sure a techie will be along to give you the Alt + 4 digit number to get these symbols on any keyboard.
                                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                        X