Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 Census - Ancestry Search - Norfolk

Hi

I have been trying to search for ancestors in Norfolk but the search is not bringing them up.

e.g. I have tried searching for WARD living (or born) in Roughton or Felbrigg with no results.

Also doing a general search for all WARD in Norfolk does not bring up any living or born in these villages.

Doing a general search for anyone living in Norfolk (no names entered) but born in any of these villages - NIL result.

I have had to search the entire entries for those villages to find the ones I am looking for.

Is anyone having the same problem ? Any solutions ?

It looks as though Ancestry hasn't finished transcribing them yet. Might be worth e-mailing them to ask if it's just a mistake.

In the meantime, the quickest solution might be to find the family on the free site (http://www.1911census.co.uk), and then look them up in the Summary Books on ancestry.

Comment

There is a listing on ancestry of counties that have been transcribed ...... and there are quite a few still missing

I'm not sure how you get to it (not helpful, am I?!), but I have seen people posting it on GR
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

According to the population statistics from the Vision of Britain website there were 499,116 people enumerated in Norfolk in 1911.

Ancestry have so far transcribed about 41,982 of them!

There is a revised list of which counties have been fully transcribed on their blog, but they are less than honest about their completeness. For example, they say that Essex has been partially transcribed — in reality they have managed to put up precisely four people residing in Essex.

Ancestry.co.uk's blog (scroll down to comment #71):

Koromo

Comment

You should be able to find something in the Enumerators Summary Books that are transcribed - look here http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...i=0&gss=angs-c

It gives names of the head of household and you can view how many others there are at an address. It is also possible to browse the images for the village you are interested in.
          Margaret

Comment

There are a few errors in the indexing of enumerators' summary books, which are getting corrected as Ancestry completes the full transcriptions. For example Ipswich has an entire sub-district missing.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi everyone

Thanks for your help. It looks like it will be back to the summary books for now.

thanks

Vivian

Comment

Originally posted by Vivian View Post
                Hi

I have been trying to search for ancestors in Norfolk but the search is not bringing them up.

e.g. I have tried searching for WARD living (or born) in Roughton or Felbrigg with no results.

Also doing a general search for all WARD in Norfolk does not bring up any living or born in these villages.

Doing a general search for anyone living in Norfolk (no names entered) but born in any of these villages - NIL result.

I have had to search the entire entries for those villages to find the ones I am looking for.

Is anyone having the same problem ? Any solutions ?
                There are many results when searching on FMP, may be worth looking on there?
                Lauren =)

Comment

Working...
                X