Fees for Catholic Children's Home search around 1871

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fees for Catholic Children's Home search around 1871

Just got an email with a form to fill in online.

Charges. £35 non returnable fee to search. no guarantee of finding records (Well that's obvious) £20-£75 fee depended on amount of information found.

You pay the £35 up front and them they let you know how much they find and that's where the £20-75 comes in. I, hopefully, think they will find something as she was there on 1871 census!!!

Never done this before.....do you think that's expensive or not?

Will still send for it anyway...I just wondered what others thought

Linda

I paid £35 for some school/orphanage records for my g-grandmother recently.

I didn't actually get much - the equivalent of a couple of 2 brief school reports saying her handwriting and sewing were good etc. However, it did tell me where her father was buried, and that when she left she went into the care of her aunt.

It was all 'nice to know' rather than essentials, so I'm glad I didn't pay any more than I did.

Comment

I think if you think it is worthwhile yourself to pay this amount not knowing what you will find then if it makes you feel better then it is worth it, and if you get some information that you did not know before then its money well spent, but you have to invest the amount to know there is nothing to learn, then it has set your mind at rest, if you did nothing then you would always wonder.

Edna

Comment

thats pretty good as Dr Barnados charge around £100 , and I have talked myself into sending for mine .

Comment

Pardon me, where's the Catholic Children's home?

Comment

Sorry, probably should have said Catholic Children's HomeS. It's their Head Office I contacted and told them the name of the Home I was interested in

Linda

Comment

It doesn't really matter whether it's expensive or not because you can't get those records anywhere else, so they cost whatever they cost.

Only you can decide if you want to pay that (or indeed, if you are able to pay that.)

OC

Comment

Yes OC you're right and I am going to go for it. I can't find a death (or any information about the parents and three of the children are all in different homes. I am just starting with one at the moment

Linda

Comment

You are correct in going after the records but if your quest takes you to Irish Orphanages, then do not be surprised if you pay your money and get nowhere. I called in person at the old orphanage to be told that that the records were available if I had the relevant permission. After eventually gaining the relevant permission, the records were no longer there!

Janet

Comment

Hi Janet. Yes I am thinking that too. Although it may help that I am dealing with the Catholic Children's Soc. and not the actual home. Well I hope so anyway.

What a disappointment for you though, although I am not expecting much I shall still be disappointed myself if I get nothing

Linda

Comment

I wish you luck Linda. They do things differently in Ireland! You should be OK with the Catholic Children's Society. As it was my father's and his sibling records, I was bitterly disappointed I could go no further. I have a feeling, though no proof, that the orphange records I was after may have been subject to, shall we say a few problems!

Janet

Comment

Oh dear I think i get you meaning!.

I have a dead end with my Irish relatives. On census's it only says born in Ireland
                        and then Mum and Dad both die or disappear between 1861 and 1871 and the children went into homes. They married here and I even have Father's nmes but have never had any joy in finding out any more

They were my GGGGrandparents

Comment

My grandmother was in the 'Marston Green Childrens Home' in Coleshill Warks, I guess from around 1907, I don't know where to go/apply for any records that may still exist.
                          Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Julie here is a discussion on the place

Edna

Comment

http://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk...ad.php?t=23805 and another

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                                http://boards.ancestrylibrary.com/th...nd.war.general

Julie here is a discussion on the place

Edna
                                Originally posted by clematised View Post
                                Thank you Edna, I will have a read of those, meantime after abit of research I have found that 'Birmingham Archives' hold records for MGCH, so have requested a look up on our 'Research Requests' board. (fingers x'd someone can help me) :smilee:

and sorry Linda for hi-jacking your thread! :emb:
                                Julie

Comment

No worries...it's lovely that so many people are willing to help on here.

Hope you have some luck with your search

Linda

Comment

Originally posted by Loopy Linda in La La Land View Post
                                    No worries...it's lovely that so many people are willing to help on here.

Hope you have some luck with your search

Linda
                                    Thank you Linda, I have received a Pm from a member on here and she has offered to have a look at some admission registers for me. :smilee:
                                    Julie

Comment

Working...
                                    X