Joel family, moved to USA c1927

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joel family, moved to USA c1927

A long time ago I had a message via Ancestry, I did reply but got no further with information, I think the family are in Staffs (Stoke?) in 1911 but apart from that clue (and I can only search the 1911 not view it) plus the message (copied below) I really don't know anything about the groom and his family...

Jeannie Hay married James Charles Joel, my grandmother's cousin.Apart from WW1 army service he seems to have been involved with books.In 1927 they sailed to Halifax/Boston and were naturalised in 1945. He worked for Brentanos bookstore NY.
    I can't find burials ( not that I've looked too hard)and I wouldn't imagine there were any children - but you might know better.
    regards
    Ray.

Known details for Jeannie/Geannie are as follows;

Birth

Births Mar 1887
    HAY Jeanie Lincoln 7a 50[56]

Marriage

Marriages Sep 1908

HAY Jeanie Newcastle L. 6b 99
    JOEL James Charles Newcastle L. 6b 99

Can anyone fill in some blanks please? Passenger lists, military, death details, anything really. Jeannie is the younger sister of my grandfather and I have never really found out anything about her yet.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Looking through the bmd I think this might be the birth ref for James

Births Dec 1880
    JOEL James Charles Tunbridge 2a 590

And the 1881 from fam search

James C Joel
    birth year: 1881
    birthplace: Tunbridge Wells, Kent, England
    relationship to head of household: Son
    marital condition: Single
    profession/occupation:
    address: 40 Camden Rd
    census place: Tunbridge, Kent, England

RG11 piece/folio: 916 / 33
    page number: 1

James C Joel M 33
    Jane E Joel F 32
    Esther Joel F 4
    James C Joel M 0
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 06-01-12, 11:31.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

James Charles Joel, 35, head, birthplace Kent, and Jeanie Joel, 24, wife, birthplace Lincoln, are living in Stoke on Trent in 1911. I can't get the image up because it hasn't been transcribed yet by Ancestry, and I can't find them in the summary books (Joel must be mistranscribed).
      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 06-01-12, 15:00.

Comment

In 1930 they're living in a lodging house in Manhattan; no children shown for them. They say they immigrated to the US in 1927, and in the naturalisation column they're shown as "al" (presumably alien). James is a bookseller, and Jeanie has no occupation.

Comment

From the US Social Security Death Index:

Name: Jeanie Joel
          SSN: 085-10-7730
          Last Residence: 10016 New York, New York, New York, United States of America
          Born: 8 Jan 1887
          Died: Jun 1977
          State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951)

Comment

Naturalisation:

Jeanie Joel residing at 223 E 34th Street, NY, aged 58, naturalised 22/1/1945
            James Charles Joel residing at 223 E 34th Street, NY, aged 64, naturalised 22/1/1945

Comment

Passenger lists:

Mrs Jeanie Joel, aged 33, travelled from St. John's Newfoundland, Canada, to Liverpool in 1920, apparently travelling alone. She gave her last permanent residence as St. Johns, Newfoundland, and country of future permanent residence as England. The address she gave on the passenger list was 38 Liverpool Road, Newcastle, Staffs. She was travelling 1st class, occupation housewife.

Jeanie Joel (transcribed as Joanie by Ancestry), aged 37, travelled from St John's Newfoundland to Liverpool in 1924, again apparently travelling alone. Last permanent residence Newfoundland, intended future residence British Possession. Housewife, travelling cabin class. Proposed address in UK: 33 Forest Road, Tunbridge Wells.

In 1927 James and Jeanie travelled from England on a ship bound for Nova Scotia, Canada, but they're crossed off the passenger list with the note "disembarked at Boston, Mass.".

In 1929 James (bookseller) and Jeanie travelled from Hamilton, Bermuda to New York, giving their place of permanent residence as New York.

In 1930 Jeanie travelled alone from Southampton to New York. Last perm. res. New York. Nearest relative in UK: sister Mrs H C Peddy, 38 Liverpool Rd., Newcastle, Staffs. Destination NY, passage paid by husband. Going to join husband Mr Joel at 106 E. 31st? St., New York.

Jeanie travelled to England in 1937, aged 50, again apparently on her own. Last permanent residence USA, intended future residence: foreign country. Proposed address in UK: "Holmbank", Rectory Lane, Beswall?, Wirral.
              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 06-01-12, 15:41.

Comment

These passenger lists have come up just on a search for Jeanie; I haven't tried James yet. It's probably quicker if I just send you the passenger lists rather than typing out the details; if you'd like me to do that, PM me with your e-mail address.

I haven't found a death for James so far, but I seem to remember earlyish deaths aren't on the SSDI.

Comment

James was still alive in 1942, aged 61, according to his WW2 draft registration card.

Comment

I've been trying to find their emigration from England to Canada between 1911 and 1920, but I've drawn a blank so far. Unfortunately the Canadian censuses online only go up to 1911.

Comment

Thanks Mary, sorry I was dealing with some other internet based stuff.

Jeanie travelled to England in 1937, aged 50, again apparently on her own. Last permanent residence USA, intended future residence: foreign country. Proposed address in UK: "Holmbank", Rectory Lane, Beswall?, Wirral. interesting as the Hay and Goulson families are heavily interlinked and the Goulson family were in the Manchester and Wirrall areas, that might be why her mother mover there after being widowed late in life.

A 1930's directory of the Wirral would be handy right now lol.

email addy on the way to you. and apologies again for not getting back sooner.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

No problem

There's a mention of Jeanie's mother in one of the passenger lists, and a description of Jeanie and James.

I still haven't found their original emigration to Canada, although I've tried Ancestry and FMP.

In case you're interested, the US 1940 census should be online before too long.

Comment

Been looking into the book store James worked at (not literally into it but googling it) and I think I might have found a reference to him on a blog.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                            Thanks Mary, sorry I was dealing with some other internet based stuff.

Jeanie travelled to England in 1937, aged 50, again apparently on her own. Last permanent residence USA, intended future residence: foreign country. Proposed address in UK: "Holmbank", Rectory Lane, Beswall?, Wirral. interesting as the Hay and Goulson families are heavily interlinked and the Goulson family were in the Manchester and Wirrall areas, that might be why her mother mover there after being widowed late in life.

A 1930's directory of the Wirral would be handy right now lol.

email addy on the way to you. and apologies again for not getting back sooner.
                            That would be Heswall, Wirral...over the Mersey from Liverpool - which happens to have a large Joel family - all good footballers and owned a few nightclubs....they may still own a few nightclubs, but I am too old to go any more...lol..let me check our phone book here in Liverpool
                            allan
                            ADDED...3 Joel in Liverpool phone book ( I would think a lot more who are not listed )
                            2 Joel in the Wirral........is it too much to presume they are descended from your clan ?
                            allan
                            Last edited by garstonite; 08-01-12, 18:13.
                            Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                            oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                            adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                            merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                            coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

no idea if there is a link or not to be honest as it's a line of the family I never really looked at in any detail until a few days ago, it's one of those that never really got going in my research and looks like no children from the marriage either so it might be one that doesn't follow through to the present day.

Seems Geannie married at least whereas her sisters didn't, only her brothers seem to have had children, which of course is where I come in.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                              X