Emilienne Celine Buret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emilienne Celine Buret

Please can anyone help me to help a distant relative by marriage!

My great-aunt Ada Levien Thompson married Thomas Quinlan O'Brien. When she died he married Emilienne Celine Buret born Le Havre about 1872, died Surrey 1960. She had two sons Charles and Eric Eastell perhaps from a previous marriage or just a liason as we can see them living with Frederick Eastell their adopted father on the 1911 census.

We are trying to find out how they came to be with Frederick.

Thanks

Di

Can you give the reference for the 1911 where you found them please.

You could try to find the birth records for Eric and Charles to see who their parents were.

Comment

I'm obviously missing something here!
      How do you know that the Charles and Eric Eastell recorded with Frederick in 1911 are the sons of Emilienne Celine Buret?
      In 1901 Charles and Eric are listed as visitors with the Eastwell family, but their names are given as Charles Rose/Rase ? and Eric L B Richer.
      Elaine

Comment

Do you know what status Emilienne gave in her marriage? was she single, widowed or divorced? Was her name Eastell at that point?

If she had the children prior to being with an Eastell then maybe he adopted them and changed their names to his from whatever it was before. If she then divorced Eastell to marry O'Brien then maybe Eastell got to keep the children

Margaret

Comment

Thanks for the references Elaine - none of the family are coming up on the other 1911 census records!!
          Margaret

Comment

The Eastell's have been missed out completely on FMP.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
              The Eastell's have been missed out completely on FMP.

Margaret
              Mistranscribed as Eartell!
              Elaine

Comment

There are trees on Ancestry which show that Fred Eastwell married Eliza Rose in 1879 Lambeth - which could explain the Charles Rose living in the household in 1901.

The name does seem to vary between Eastell and Eastwell!
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                  Mistranscribed as Eartell!
                  Thanks for finding that! I have sent them an email because when I check by address it is not listed in that section either so something is well amiss.
                  Margaret

Comment

This must be Emilienne in 1891 as a servant age 19 years and single http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=7203775
                    Margaret

Comment

FMP - streetname has been indexed as "Cornwall Road Brixton Hill" ... just to confuse you!
                      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                        FMP - streetname has been indexed as "Cornwall Road Brixton Hill" ... just to confuse you!
                        and it doesn't take much!! LOL
                        Margaret

Comment

Have asked John to come back to you on this. He lives the other side of Canada, so we may have to wait.

Di

Comment

OK… I’m the John DiD referred to.

My great uncle is Thomas Francis Quinlan O’Brien (1867-1937). His second wife is a French woman born in Le Havre, Emilienne Celine Buret 91872-1960). Emilienne’s son is named Eric Lewis Eastell (b. Abt 1897).

I received much of the following from my brother’s research; any questions that arise that I can’t answer may have to be answered by him, and this could take some time:

Eric was adopted. His marriage certificate has been ordered to see if it lists his real father and some clues. I expect this will take a week or two to reach Canada. The address in the lower right of the 1911 census is the same as the one Eric went to after arriving back in the UK from Bombay in 1921.

Since Eric was adopted, his last name might be changed to Eastell from something else. In the 1911 census he is listed as born in Clapham. My brother did search of ALL Eric Lewis - no last name born in England in 1897. I got four hits, all Eric Louis instead of Lewis. Hopes went up as the spelling was starting to look French. EUGEL in Romford, Essex; YOUNG in Nottingham; JULIAN in Hackney - but he died KIA in 1916 and one very French sounding Eric Louis BURET. A search for all Buret of any first name quickly gave Emeline or Emeleme or some such spelling and born 1872 in LeHavre.

So now we’re trying and see why Fred & Eliza Eastell became steps. Don't know if the other step Charles is related to Eric by blood.

The Eastell clan used to be called Eastwell, the name appearing without the “w” only for Fred's family from his marriage in 1879 onwards. All his brothers and sisters of Fred were spelt with a “w”. The other Eastell families are a different bunch from Norfolk.

What we’re trying to find is how Emilenne Buret and Eric Eastell are related and if there are others. Was Eric a child of Emilienne from a former relationship, adopted by Fred Eastell then returned to his birth mother?

All those I knew are now dead. As a child I knew Emilienne and Eric in the 1940s and 50s as mother and son. Eric was married to a Margery Webber; they had three children. Eric’s marriage to Margery Webber and their subsequent trips with my great uncle Thomas Quinlan O’Brien to Tangiers Morocco where he managed a hotel is well known to us.

Comment

I presumed this was Eric's birth registration

Eric Louis E R Buret
                              Apr-May-Jun 1897
                              Wandsworth
                              Volume: 1d
                              Page: 668

??
                              Elaine

Comment

The birth certificate should show the names of parents but looks as if he will be illegitimate so maybe one of the middle names is that of the father - E for Eastwell?

Margaret

Comment

On the 1911 census, Eric was listed as adopted, so I presumed his last name might have been changed to Eastell from something else since he isn't in the births as an Eastell. So I did a search of ALL Eric Lewis - no last name born in England in 1897. I got several hits of Eric Louis and Eric Lewis. In the 1911 census he is listed as born in Clapham. So I looked for any of those who were born in London. Eric Louis BURET was the only one. A search for all Buret of any first name quickly gave Emelienne and born 1872 in LeHavre on the 1891 census http://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/ss...ki1891&indiv=1
                                  We already know that the Emilienne we were looking for was born in LeHavre about 1872.
                                  Finally - I sleuthed one - or so I thought until I saw this from Elaine
                                  In 1901 Charles and Eric are listed as visitors with the Eastwell family, but their names are given as Charles Rose/Rase ? and Eric L B Richer
                                  I missed that census. Now I'm not so sure. Ah well that's what makes this fun.

Comment

Sorry I am still confused!!

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
                                    Emilienne’s son is named Eric Lewis Eastell (b. Abt 1897).
                                    Originally posted by Ginger View Post
                                    What we’re trying to find is how Emilenne Buret and Eric Eastell are related
                                    Your comments seem to contradict each other!
                                    Elaine

Comment

Sorry for the confusion Elaine. In the 1940s my grandmother often referred to an Eric Eastell as my great aunt Emilienne's son. I'm trying to find who Eric's father was. Eric's d.o.b is Abt 1897.

Emilenne's "husband" is my grand uncle Thomas F. Quinlan O'Brien.

Thomas was previously married in 1899 to Ada Levien Thompson and they had 3 children together, Mary, Edmund and Nora O'Brien. Ada died in 1902, probably during childbirth.

I haven't yet found a marriage certificate for Thomas F. Quinlan O'Brien’s second marriage. The lady he refers to as his wife in ship’s manifests etc is Emilienne Celine Buret... that's why I used the term "husband".

Comment

Working...
                                      X