No announcement yet.

Could this be my Thomas Henry Gosnell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could this be my Thomas Henry Gosnell?

I have never felt happy about the one I thought was him born in 1867 ?? as not found him on any census saying Dock Labourer which is what it says for his occupation on the childrens Baptisms in 1894 and 1896 plus he would be at least 10 years younger than my Emily ,but have a Thomas Henry Goswell born 1850 with a wife and family in 1901 and it says Wharf Labourer?
    Could be why they never married ? as he already was.
    Would welcome any opinions thanks

wharf and dock labourer in my mind would be similar occupations, but i think there is an actual difference. though i don't know if the difference is significant enough to cancel out this man.

Comment

Docker / Dock Walloper Stevedore, dock worker who loads and unloads cargo

wasn't one for wharves, but i should think it would similar meaning, he probs had something to do with building on docks or he dealt in cargo?

Comment

Comment

Hi Val
          Don't worry too much about occupations not being exactly the same.Unskilled men had to take what work was available.My grandfather was a porter, dock lab, gas fitter's lab, lamplighter & worked on Tower Bridge.
          Have you followed the other, older children of Adam & Emily Muller? I can't seem to find any of them after 1891.
          One thing that puzzles me is why Thomas gave his mother's maiden name as Miller, which we presume should be Muller, when he married, when there was no mention of this name on his birth cert. Once again I am presuming that the information came from him.
          Moggie

Comment

muller is the german surname, which was frequently anglicised as miller.

Comment

thanks Kyle and Moggie just seems to be too much of coincidence that this Thomas Henry is described as a Wharf Labourer yet cannot find the other one at all.

Yes Moggie know what happened to the children and none of the family knew Charles was the Son of a German they had always used the name Miller.

Charles my Grandfather is in Mile End in 1901 gave himself the name George Lester
              seems it was his stage name ?? only thing is as far as I know he only sang in Pubs.

Elizabeth is in Kensington in 1901 name Elizabeth Miller ,except she had married in Sussex in 1898 then presumably left him ? she remarried bigamously in 1918 saying she was single but using her married surname Stanley and saying her Fathers name was Harry Stanley.

Alexander in 1901 is in Bromley working at The Widows Son Pub in Bromley

Rose and Daisy are both in Canada having been sent there by Dr Barnados ,this is how I know Emily had a Son Thomas as the letter I got from them mentions my Grandfather had a half sibling called Thomas aged 3 living with his Mother ? does not mention anything about a Father.

Just so frustrating to find all the others lives right up till their deaths but not find her .

Thanks for helping.

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                Hi Val
                Don't worry too much about occupations not being exactly the same.Unskilled men had to take what work was available.My grandfather was a porter, dock lab, gas fitter's lab, lamplighter & worked on Tower Bridge.
                Have you followed the other, older children of Adam & Emily Muller? I can't seem to find any of them after 1891.
                One thing that puzzles me is why Thomas gave his mother's maiden name as Miller, which we presume should be Muller, when he married, when there was no mention of this name on his birth cert. Once again I am presuming that the information came from him.
                Moggie
                This might help track down Emily as it suggests that perhaps after splitting with his father she had been calling herself Miller while Thomas was growing up.
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

hi Judith yes I have also been looking under that name as the other chidlren all used it too .
                  Have looked under Kemp Muller Miller and Gosnell just in case.
                  I really dont know why she let the girls go in 1899 but kept Thomas? I would have thought a baby harder to manage , also there is no mention of the Father as living with her in 1899 ?

Comment

Working...
                  X