Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So excited

I am so sad lol

Got Great Grandad's death certificate some time ago and the address given was the next street to where all the rest of the were living. As I know the streets I asked my 89 year Uncle if he knew why that was and he said 'that's where the woman he was 'carrying on with' lived'.

Today just doing a bit more searching and looked on 1911 at that particular address and the wife in the family was called Heloise, very unusual, found her husband had died but couldn't find her death.....so....drum roll......looked up a second marriage for Heloise Carr and she married.....Great Grandad George Blewitt one year before he died in 1923. He was 71. She died in 1960 as Heloise Blewitt.

I have just phoned Uncle and he's flabbergasted, Great Grandma had died two years before so there was no problem with the marriage, but it seems no one knew about it. My Mum talked a lot about family history and never mentioned it and nor did my Gran.

Don't know why am so excited, but I am.

Also Uncle was saying that he was talking to his sister today and saying how sad it was that we've no photos of his Dad (my Grandad) and Auntie say's 'Oh I've got some, and one of Mum and Dad, he's in his Army uniform.

The times I've asked if any of them have photos. Motto is NEVER GIVE UP

Linda

> Motto is NEVER GIVE UP

I shall try to remember that when I ask my cousin AGAIN for access to our g.grandfather's papers/photos. He's been promising me since 2001.

Well done you though for making a breakthrough.

STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Linda

I can remember how excited I was when someone messaged me to say he thought we were third cousins. We were, but I had been led astray by "family knowledge" which said the man had died young, unmarried. Census reports bore this out and so did a street directory. He was buried with his parents and no mention of a wife.

So I was astounded to discover that he had in fact married the year before his untimely death and left behind a bride pregnant with twins. Somehow everyone in the family had forgotten about this, including my own father, who had visited the widow and her twins, but had thought they were someone else!!!!

The contact also had a photo of our mutual 2 x GGM, which was taken in 1856!!!!I never in a million years thought I would see a photo of her and certainly not one that early.

Good fun this genealogy, isn't it!

OC

Comment

What a discovery - I hope Heloise didn't walk off with any family treasures!

Comment

What a fantastic discovery OC. Especially with a photo as well. Just goes to show how we are told things and they can be well off track.

We were all told that my Grandad (who didn't die till I was 18 and I saw him a couple of times a week) was blinded in the war. In actual fact he was wounded in WW1 but nothing to do with his eyes. He had a congenital cataract in one eye and the eye was removed when he was a child and they other eye was removed due to an infection in 1919. Got all this from St. Dunstan's in Brighton.

We were talking about Grandad the other day and my 89 year Uncle said 'Ah we all thought Grandad could see a little bit you know' nudge, nudge, wink, wink!! His face was a right picture when I told him that Grandad actually had no eyes so that would have been impossible. He kept saying 'Well I never' lol

Wish my Mum was still here so I could tell her as well.

Well Jill, Apparently the Blewitts had several large furniture businesses and Uncle has always said 'I wonder where all that money went?' Perhaps Heloise knows!! lol I have found her death aged 88 in 1960 am tempted to get the certificate..have sent off for the marrriage certificate tonight

Linda

Comment

my grandma is always saying she doesn't have things when she does. her problem is she has so much stuff in general it's hard for her to remember if she has photo's and documents in it all!!

and gran is always saying 'i doon't knoow' when asked something. next time you see her she'll start going on about it, and i'll be like 'gran you said you knew nothing!' she's the same with infamous family mysteries. you figure it out and race back to tell her, then her reply is 'oh, i knew that'. infuriating haha

Comment

Ha ha. perhaps we'll be like that when we are old and grey. the good bit is that we'll all have our Trees and they can just have a look...Lucky them, although all the fun of the searching and discoveries will be have been taken away from them..so perhaps in a way we are the lucky ones!

Linda

Comment

What a great find.

I discovered a while ago that it's always worth looking for late marriages just in case, when I sent for a death certificate and the man turned out to have a wife I knew nothing about, who he married when he was over 60.

Comment

Working...
                X