Agnes palmer, belfast.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agnes palmer, belfast.

Agnes Palmer was the estranged wife of Charles Henry Palmer. They really are the brick wall in my family tree & sadly I have been running into that brick wall for a long time now with not even the sign of a crack emerging as yet either!!
    Agnes Palmer was left money in a family will in 1936 & on receiving her inheritance she wrote to the family to express her thanks & in this letter she mentioned that she had one daughter but the name & date of birth of this child is unknown.
    In 1936 it is known that Agnes Palmer lived at 98 Millfield, Belfast. I wondered if anyone might have access to directories or perhaps electoral roll information that could help me to learn more about Agnes Palmer at this address please. I thought that such information might help me to learn how long she resided there for & whether any other names were also included as living at the same address too. If she stayed there until her death it might help me to discover when she died in the hope of seeking out her death certificate.
    Should anyone have any other ideas as to how I might seek out more information about Agnes & her daughter I would welcome any advice please. I have been unable as yet to locate the marriage entry for Agnes to Charles Henry Palmer & know of no details what so ever of their daughter either.
    It would be so good to finally begin to break down this brick wall & to discover what really did become of Agnes, Charles & their daughter too.
    Thank you.

i don't know where you live, but you could look around the public record office of northern ireland website:

PRONI is the official archive for Northern Ireland and holds documents covering a period from 1600 to the present day

i did see brief mention of deeds on there. if you can't find anything on the site, maybe email them, they may be able to help you.

Comment

Hello, many thanks for your eply. I actually live in England so I am unable to visit the records office myself to seek out any information. I have taken a look at the site that you mentioned but sadly didn't have any luck.
      Thanks again,
      Brock.

Comment

contact them asking about electoral rolls. they might have them, or at least tell you where to find them.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
          contact them asking about electoral rolls. they might have them, or at least tell you where to find them.
          Thank you, I will try that out.

Comment

Have a try on this site where they have a genealogy section and some street directories and many helpful people. http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/

Also have a look here http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...F0003A49-int=1
            where you will see a whole list of Irish civil records.
            Margaret
            Last edited by margaretmarch; 04-01-12, 15:22.

Comment

What sort of age do you have for Charles Henry and what else do you know about him?

I have looked at the 1911 census for Ireland here http://www.census.nationalarchives.i...lfield/155145/ but couldn't see a house numbered 98 in Millfield but the one I have given the link for does have an Agnes living there. Not that I am saying she is the one you are looking for just that if you trawled through you might see something that strikes a chord.

Margaret

Comment

Here are some burials for Agnes Palmer in Belfast http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialrecords/search.asp

Margaret

Comment

Margaret you have been busy for me! Thank you so much for trying to help me in this way.
                  My ancestor Charles Henry Palmer was born in Barrow In Furness, England in 1893 where his family had lived for some years. In the early 1900's his parents & many of his grown up siblings moved to live in the Maze area of County Down in Ireland where the family bought & ran a farm & grocery shop. Charles Henry Palmer was still in England when the 1911 census was taken but some time after that he too moved to live in Ireland with his family. It is known that he met & married to a lady named Agnes & I have been told that her surname was possibly Palmer too (no relation) but this is unconfirmed. All that is known is that they had a daughter & that Charles found work on the ships of the merchant navy ~ he left home working on the ships never to return again. No-one knows any more details about who Agnes & her daughter were & the only facts that are known about them is that she lived at 98 Millfield in Belfast in 1936 ~ this info is known from an old letter that she wrote to family to express her thanks upon receiving money from a family will. There are some Merchant Navy records on the Find My Past site for Charles dated 1923 after which nothing else is known about him.
                  This family has always been quite a mystery to me & I would love to learn more about them & know what became of them in their later years.
                  Thank you for your help,
                  Brock.

Comment

[QUOTE=margaretmarch;2340040]Have a try on this site where they have a genealogy section and some street directories and many helpful people. http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/

I have just registered on the above site & have posted an enquiry. Fingers crossed!
                    If I have any luck I shall let you know.
                    Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                      Here are some burials for Agnes Palmer in Belfast http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialrecords/search.asp

Margaret
                      Hi Margaret, I have tried to look at the burials for Agnes Palmer which could be most useful but I am afraid that I cannot seem to have any luck with this site & the search function isn't available to me. I shall try later to see if I have any better luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Brock View Post
                        Hi Margaret, I have tried to look at the burials for Agnes Palmer which could be most useful but I am afraid that I cannot seem to have any luck with this site & the search function isn't available to me. I shall try later to see if I have any better luck.
                        Does my link open for you? and if so what do you see? I had searched on Agnes and found this

Agnes Palmer 9 November 1998 12 November 1998 Dundonald Cemetery
                        Agnes Jane Howard Palmer 29 August 1976 1 October 1976 Dundonald Cemetery
                        Annie Agnes Dunbar Palmer 21 May 1962 24 May 1962 Dundonald Cemetery
                        Josephine Agnes Palmer 17 March 1949 19 March 1949 Dundonald Cemetery

The first date is the death and the second the burial. When I clicked view details for the first result this came up

Name of deceased Agnes Palmer
                        Last place of residence Flat 3, 123 Woodvale Rd
                        Age 87
                        Sex NK
                        Date of death 9 November 1998
                        Date of burial 12 November 1998
                        Cemetery Dundonald Cemetery
                        Grave section and number D5 212
                        Burial type Earth Burial

Hope that helps. Do please let us know how you get on with the Belfast Forum.

Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret, I was using Internet Explorer to try to look at the Belfast Coincil site but it kept coming up with a message to say that Explorer couldn't access the information. Instead I tried using Firefox to access the site & doing that enabled me to see the site properly.
                          I tried to look for other entries for the Agnes's listed & found a birth entry for Agnes Jane Howard Palmer. This could mean that she died a spinster but I wondered if she could have possibly married to a Palmer as the family story goes.
                          I looked for her in the 1911 census & found her with her family at 57 Belmont Road, Victoria, Co. Down so she would have been in the right sort of area to have met Charles. I am writing to the cemetery to see if they might hold any further details in their records which might help such as whether she was a spinster or not. Also, I wondered who might have purchased the grave ~ if it was the elusive daughter it just might give her name too.
                          Of course this might all be a red herring but you never know until you check it out do you!
                          I shall let you know what I find out.
                          Thanks again for your help.
                          Jan.

Comment

Working...
                          X