Scottish Marriage cert query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish Marriage cert query

Thomas Gosnell marriage would you say the parents are still alive ? Henry Gosnell and Emily.

Thanks

Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 04-01-12, 11:20.

Can't help Val, image is too small to be able to read, at least it is for me!
    Elaine

Comment

thanks Elaine is this any better

Comment

I was under the impression that on Scottish certificates if the parents had died then it would say so, so on that basis I would presume they were still alive.
        You really need someone with more experience of Scottish certificates to confirm this!
        Elaine

Comment

it does not say deceased, which scottish records usually do. none of the parents on the entire page are listed as deceased, so i would say they are still alive, unless you have reason to believe other wise. sorry, i know this doesn't help with emily.

Comment

thanks Elaine and yes your right Kyle it doesn't help with my Emily, would they have had to prove they were still alive then ?? such as having a written something ? as I have English Certs where the Father is said to be dead but still alive and visa versa.

Comment

i should think maybe they were not asked if their parents were alive val. i don't have any records from 1916 i don't think, but i do know on all i've seen, from earlier that they were correct in the parents status, and it was always recorded.

Comment

the sheet does not ask for status of parents either, so maybe it was up to the vicar/registrar?

Comment

thanks Kyle I had really hoped finding this Son would lead me to her, but have drawn a blank neither of the Parents are recorded as having died in Scotland unless they used diferent names ? and I cannot find any suitable Deaths in England .

Comment

hi val gannot read deceased on this enlarged it emilys madian name looks like goudie hope it helps tyson

Comment

Thanks for replying Tyson I'm sure she is deliberately hiding from me

Comment

Most of the Scottish certs that I have, state if the parents are deceased. My Scottish grandparents married in 1922 and it states on that cert that her mother and his father are deceased.

I suppose it's possible the Registrar just didn't ask the question but I think that would be unusual for a Scottish registrar!

No, you have never had to prove anything when registering a life event. You are under penalty to tell the truth and can be fined if you don't, and so there the Registrar's duty ends - it's up to the informant to tell the truth, not for the Registrar to investigate whether they ARE telling the truth or not.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by tyson View Post
                          hi val gannot read deceased on this enlarged it emilys madian name looks like goudie hope it helps tyson
                          Emily's maiden name is Miller... Henry Gosnell and Emily Miller.....

most Scottish certs if parents are deceased this is recorded..... you do get the odd few that are missed...

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
                          Raven's Family Tree

Comment

thanks OC and Raven then I will assume she was still living in 1916 and go from there for now, she will not escape me I am determined.;D

Comment

some of the family went to canada didn't they val? maybe she went too?

Comment

thanks Kyle did wonder that? but not had any luck so far, but I will persevere .

Comment

you are much closer than this time last year!!

Comment

Yes Kyle I keep telling myself that ,I was so surprised to find the twins births , but thinking about it an aunt did mention twin girls some time ago ,I just assumed they were Emilys and Adams and as I never found them thought they had not been registered.
                                    Just was so hoping with this new info and the quite unusual name of Gosnell I would have got lucky?.
                                    Big thanks to Raven for looking for me .

Comment

do you know part part of canada the family were in val? or have you looked for a remarriage after gosnell? in scotland?

Comment

another thought, any gosnell wills on scotspeople?

Comment

Working...
                                        X