How can I prove/disprove my theory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I prove/disprove my theory?

My 4x Great Grandmother Sarah Greenwood was born in Leeds 1784. Her baptism took place on 19 Dec 1784 in Armley, Leeds – father Edward. There are three other siblings baptised in Armley with Edward as the father, Edward born c1779, Richard born c1781, Robert born c1783.

I am trying to find more information on Edward and find a wife for him and a mother for Sarah. I can not find a marriage for Edward in the Leeds area. This made me wonder if Edward married outside Leeds. There is a marriage for Edward Greenwood to Sarah Hutchinson 15 Jan 1771 in Silkstone Barnsley. They had three children born in Silkstone Catherine born c1771, William born c1773 and George born c1776.

I am wondering if this is the same family and they moved from Silkstone to Leeds between 1776 and 1779. My problem is how do I prove/disprove this theory.

There is an Edward Greenwood born and baptised in Silkstone c1750 father William.

I did wonder if finding a burial record in Silkstone might negate my theory but I can not find a burial record for an Edward or Sarah in Silkstone and there is only one burial in Leeds (that I can find) which might be Sarah (1816 aged 62)

I can not cross reference using occupation either as there is no occupation on the Armley baptisms or the marriage in Silkstone.

Any ideas for taking this theory forward would be most welcome otherwise it will have to remain a theory of which I have numerous(for different ancestors) sitting around waiting to be either proved or disproved!!!

Sandra
    Last edited by Sherbertrose; 04-01-12, 10:47.

Before I got half way through your thread I was thinking burial records which you mentioned. Could you find any of the children born in either place on 1841 census but that would only give you the county for birth.

Also did any of the children born in Silkstone die in Armley. Catherine is the most unusual name amongst the children and did any of the children call a child Catherine. Does that make sense!!
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Hi Lin,

Thank you for your response. Sarah married Issac Wood and as far as I know she did not have a child named Catherine. I have only found one of Sarah's brothers on the Census returns - Richard married Mary Brown (I think) in Pickering 1840. This was Mary's second marriage so it is possible that it was Richard's second marriage. However, if it was then i have, to date, not found the marriage. May be I should look again.

Sandra

Comment

You could try the local Record Office to see if there's a settlement order for the family when they moved to the new parish.

Comment

Thanks Mary.

I will keep this in mind if I ever get to Leeds records office.

Sandra

Comment

You could try e-mailing. If they have a card index, they may be able to tell you if there's a settlement order, and give you an estimate for photocopying it.

Comment

Hi Mary I have sent an e-mail. It is certainly worth a try - nothing ventured nothing gained.

Sandra

Comment

Working...
              X