headache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headache

i need help please with a real headache!!

1901- normanhurst, cheltenham, gloucester

william shaw- head. 70, b.1831, great burstead, essex. living on own means.
    lallie shaw- wife. 42, b.1859, kingston, jamaica.
    kate chancellor- visitor. 42, b.1859, london.
    kate chancellor- visitor. 22, b.1889, bath somerset.

i just got the death of william on 22 oct 1901 at normanhurst. informant- L shaw, wife.

i am trying to tie this william in to my family, but i cannot find him in 1891, and i cannot trace lallie asides from this record. no marriage for them, no remarriage or death that i can see for her. i don't know who the chancellor's are either.
    Last edited by kylejustin; 04-01-12, 05:04.

kate chancellor is the daughter of edward and catherine wetton living in bath in 1881. kate has 2 children, william and kate. still no link that i can see though.

Comment

kate wettin and william henry chancellor married jun 1876, bath. he is in bath in 1871, son of charles b.somerset and sarah b.staffs. so still no obvious link to a shaw (at least the line i hope william is from) but they could be related to lallie i guess if her birth was not in jamaica at all.

Comment

I take it you have checked familysearch.org for Jamaica births for Lallie? also the marriage?

What occupation was William?
        Margaret

Comment

Just an aside that you may already know but Normanhurst was a beautiful regency villa in Christchurch Road in Cheltenham. It still stands today and is a care home I think. I'm sure it must be a listed building so their might be more info on the British Heritage website.
          Helen in Glos

Comment

In case you haven't got this here is William in 1851 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=4749686

Great Burstead comes under Billericay.

Margaret

Comment

How about this for 1871 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=7295558 with a first wife Elizabeth b1839 and daughter Kathie b1857 and 6 sons. The birth place for William is badly written but could be Billericay.

All the sons born in Thundersley, Essex not that far from Billericay.

Margaret

Comment

Right - the sons:-

Albert Edgar Shaw
                Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1860
                Registration district: Rochford Inferred County: Essex Volume: 4a Page: 171

Arthur Alban Shaw
                Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1860
                Registration district: Rochford Inferred County: Essex Volume: 4a Page: 171

Edwin Rayleigh Shaw
                Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1862
                Registration district: Rochford Inferred County: Essex Volume: 4a Page: 181

James Neville Shaw
                Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1864
                Registration district: Rochford Inferred County: Essex Volume: 4a Page: 197

Robert B Shaw
                Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1866
                Registration district: Bath Inferred County: Somerset Volume: 5c Page: 651 <<<<<<<< connection to Bath where there are other births including one Helen Lavinia in 1868 so I would say other family members there at the same time. Lavinia is William's mother.

Margaret

Comment

1891 William SHAW was in Brighton with daughter Lottie aged 30 born in West Indies (British Subject) Find my Past have his age as 32 but the image looks like 52. RG12 piece 802 folio 87 page 12
                  William shown as Married, and an M also seems to have been added to that column by Lottie's name.
                  Last edited by JudithM; 04-01-12, 07:18.
                  Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                    1891 William SHAW was in Brighton with daughter Lottie aged 30 born in West Indies (British Subject) Find my Past have his age as 32 but the image looks like 52. RG12 piece 802 folio 87 page 12
                    William shown as Married, and an M also seems to have been added to that column by Lottie's name.

That's odd showing married for a daughter but giving the same surname as the father.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                      That's odd showing married for a daughter but giving the same surname as the father.

Margaret
                      Yes, I wonder if they were married but the enumerator initially assumed daughter because of the age difference.
                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

oh wow ladies that is brilliant! no wonder i could not find him! yes ladies, that is him you found with the 1st wife elizabeth nee buckenham, and children 1861-1881. he was in wales in 1881, and i could not find him any later. i just stumbled across him in gloucester in 1901. and no wonder i could not find him in 1891!!

helen lavinia born in bath is his niece, william's parents are george and lavinia shaw. so glad to see that you came to the same conclusion that he is the same guy. so thrilled.

margaret, i did not know what lallie's maiden name was, and there are always quite a few in the census, since i could not find her in any other census, i could not be sure if she actually was from the west indies! he's a bit old, but do you think they could have married there? or not married at all?

Comment

Here's one of the sons James Neville in 1911

MUSGROVE, Edwin Head Married M 60 1851 Farmer Curry Mallett Somerset
                          MUSGROVE, Emily Wife Married 31 years F 72 1839 Buckland St Mary Somerset
                          MUSGROVE, Sidney Nephew M 3 1908 Taunton Somerset
                          LOUCH, Edith Servant Single F 18 1893 General Servant Domestic Fivehead Somerset
                          WARDROPER, Charles Boarder Single M 65 1846 Independent Epsom Surrey
                          BOND, Sidney Boarder Single M 55 1856 Independent Chard Somerset
                          SHAW, Neville Boarder Single M 47 1864 Independent Thundersley Essex <<<<<<<<<<
                          BROCK, Edgar Boarder Single M 42 1869 Army Retired Pensioner London Pimlico

RG14PN14338 RG78PN862 RD307 SD2 ED10 SN42

Address:
                          Stillbrook Fivehead Taunton Somerset

Comment

Looked for a will for William in 1901 and can't see anything for that year or later. Thought it might give some clues.
                            Margaret

Comment

omg margaret, you found one the sons haha. i have been looking for the younger sons after 1881 for ages, and not come close. edwin rayleigh, robert broff and james neville, are the only sons i have zilch on. the others if i don't have absolute proof, there are possibilities!

Comment

Working...
                              X