16th Century Almondbury, Yorkshire query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16th Century Almondbury, Yorkshire query

My quandary is that I have two very early ancestors, Thomas Oldham and Elizabeth Hadfield who married at Almondbury in Yorkshire in May 1608. They had three children; Johes (Feb 1608), Christopher (Feb 1611) and Anna (Mar 1619). Now, I'm able to find a 1581 baptism for Thomas (although I can't get any further back than that, but for the mother it's a different story).

There are, unfortunately, two Elizabeth Hadfields. One is born to Johis at Almondbury and has siblings Johes (1574), Alicia (1576), Margareta (1579), Alicia again (1580), Oliver and Richard (1581), Alicia again (1587), Dorothy (1589) and Johes (1591). No mother is ever named and this Elizabeth is baptised in December 1585.
    The other Elizabeth was also born in Almondbury in 1585. But a month earlier. Her parents were Nicholas and Alicia (nee Swallow) who were married in 1581. This Elizabeth's siblings were Jacobus (1581), Alicia (1583), Maria (1588) and Ioannes (1593).

Now, given that the IGI doesn't seem to include any Almondbury deaths - and I can't get access to the original parish records (or transcription thereof) I'm thus stumped as to which Elizabeth survives to adulthood and marries Thomas. Does anyone either
    a) have any idea how I can go about this
    b) have access to the Almondbury records and can find a suitable death for an "Elizabeth daughter of Johis/Nicholai Hadfield" after 1585...?

Regards,

Stephen

Almondbury parish registers are included in the West Yorkshire collection on Ancestry, with images. The transcriptions for the early records are not surprisingly a bit erratic, but you can browse through the images yourself. Huddersfield FHS transcription is online at Findmypast, Almondbury All Hallows comes up under Huddersfield. I've had a quick look, but can't see a likely burial, although some don't have first names. I don't think the parents name is usually recorded anyway in this register at this time.

If you don't have subscriptions you might be able to access Ancestry and/or Findmypast at your local library or Family History Society. Alternatively, you could order the film into a local LDS family history centre, and look at it there. I haven't checked whether the LDS have the film, but as the baptisms and marriages are on the IGI I feel sure they will have.

Anne

Comment

Anne,

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, the only subscription I can afford for this year is GR, so those Ancestry images, as tempting as they are, aren't going to be viewable. A shame. I'm aware that, from at least 1600, Almondbury was putting parental names on the burial records of children, but I don't know how far back that goes.

Comment

Hi MrStephen,

I note your location is Manchester and, as Anne suggested, Manchester Room at City Library does have free computer access to both Ancestry and Findmypast. Problem of subscription for you to either solved.;)

Ian

Comment

Working...
        X