Cornelias Alphonse(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornelias Alphonse(s)

Can anyone tell me if the two names Cornelias Alphonse(s) Male and first names I assume, belong to any particular region of the world ? It was a great change to see these names among all the William, John and Henry"s( Montgomery ) family ancestors I am looking through. Can you help?

Cornelias could be a form Cornelius in which case it could be latin and mean horn.

Alphonse could be French or Germanic... meaning noble and ready. It is also a derivative of Adalfuns.

Generally googling the name followed by origin brings up quite a bit.

Comment

i should alfonse would be spanish as in alfonso. but i think it could be a women's name form the latin countries.

Comment

Could also be dutch - from about 1811 they used latin forms of names (I think it had something to do with Napoleon, but might be wrong). I have a lot of Cornelius/Cornelis in my family, and at least one Alphons. Is the surname any clue?

Sorry, just saw that they were Montgomery.
        Last edited by ozgirl; 03-01-12, 11:44. Reason: Adding extra
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

As both these names are the names of roman Catholic saints, that is where they originate, i.e. in any Roman Catholic country in the world.

In other words, a religious significance, not a geographical one.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
            As both these names are the names of roman Catholic saints, that is where they originate, i.e. in any Roman Catholic country in the world.

OC
            On the other hand I have a Cornelius in the rabidly non-conformist Yorkshire branch of my family - I assume the parents just liked the name.

Comment

Lindsay

Yes, I have a few noncon Cornelius, but the combination of names, and written in Latin, is definitely a Roman Catholic indicator. Anglican Nonconformists never used Latin to record names.

OC

Comment

Many thanks to you all for this information, I can get a new slant on my research with this mix of ideas. Again I am realy blown away with your responses THANK YOU take care and have a great New Year

Comment

Working...
                X