Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Mulholland and Hannah Karr

Hi everyone,

Initially, I would like to wish all FTF Administrators, Moderators and members a very happy New Year 2012 and to all those on FTF who assisted me personally with my research in 2011 - many thanks!!!!!!

On starting this post, there were some 12.961 members on FTF - so there must be someone out there who can provide information to the following request:

Information required on George Mulholland and Hannah Karr my Great(x2)grandparents.

Everybody ready? Okay, fasten your seat belts, no smoking, mobiles switched off - here we go!!!!!!!!!!!!

George Mulholland,
    b. ca. 1806 in Derry, Ireland (not proven).
    He died on 31.12.1885 at 31. Lister Buildings, Darlington, County Durham. (Informant was his son Charles).
    According to his death certificate he was 65 years old. However, on the 1881 Census is age is given as 75.

Hannah Mulholland, late Lavery, formerly Karr
    b.ca. 1811, Location - not known
    d. ca. June 1869 in Durham

The children were:

James Lavery, b. ca. 1836 - 1840 in Ireland (son from previous marriage).
    Mary Lavery, b. ca. 1836 - 1840 in Ireland (daughter from a previous marriage).
    Charles Mulholland b. ca. 1844 - 1847 in Ireland d. ca. 1886 in Darlington.
    George Mulholland b. ca. 1844 - 1847 in Ireland.
    Ellen Mulholland b. ca. 1866 -1849 in Ireland, d. 07.12.1903 in Middlesbrough.
    Bridget Mulholland b. 24.03.1848 in Durham, d. August 1901, location - not known.
    Richard (Lavery) Mulholland b. ca. 1855 at 88 Black Hill, Benfieldside, Durham

1851 Census living at: 88 Black Hill, Benfieldside, Durham
    1861 Census living at: John Street, Consett, Durham
    1881 Census living at: 32 Lister Buildings in Darlington

On the 1851 Census shows the two Lavery children as being "Mulhollands" - but Hannah (the wife) was married before and these two are actually step-children to George (senior). Also George doesn't get any older.
    On the 1861 Census you will see Ellen and Bridget get switched around and it states that they both were born in Ireland.
    All very confusing? Now you can see that you can't rely on ages dates and census info.

So in order to find out when the "Mulhollands" came to England - I obtained a copy of Bridget's birth certificate - as she was born in 1848 in Durham and Ellen was born in Ireland some two years earlier - they must have come over between 1846 - 1848.

The children married as follows:

Charles Mulholland married Elizabeth Armstrong (b. 1847 in Darlington) at Darlington in 1867. They had two boys George and John.

George Mulholland (junior) marries Harriet Wood (b. 1870 in Leeds) at Darlington in 1891.
    Concerning John, I have no information.

Ellen Mulholland married Edward Hanlon at St. Mary's Church, Durham on 26.12.1867.

Can anyone provide answers to the following questions:

a. Who were the parents of George Mulholland and Hannah Karr?
    b. When did George Mulholland and Hannah Karr marry and where?
    c. What were the exact DOB's and location of George Mulholland and Hannah Karr?
    d. Confirmation or exact date that Hannah died in June 1869 in Durham.

Many thanks in anticipation for any answers or snippets of information that will help me on my way to Nirvana!!!!!!!

Brian

death reg of hannah mulholland jun 1869, durham district. you will have to get it to make sure it is her.

there is a hannah mulholland bur.19 may 1869, 60 b.1809 at blackhill cemetary in consett, durham.

Comment

there are quite a lot of mulholland's buried in consett. but no george.

Comment

if you email the darlington county council, you ask them to check for george's burial or cremation. they did this for my great grandparents and their parents, free of charge. they are really helpful.

Comment

bridget mulholland- bur.1 sep 1901. 53, b.1848. at consett.

there is this for charles: charle mulholland bur.19 feb 1869, stockton on tees. 25, b.1844.

Comment

Hi Kyle,

thanks, that info looks encouraging.

Brian

Comment

familysearch has quite a few marriages for pre registration 1830-1840's, though i can't see your ancestors, and i doubt what they have is complete anyway. i guess you will have to wait and see if they upload anymore. without knowing where in ireland to look, it's nearly impossible to get anywhere. and if you are sure of the county, you still have to narrow down the townland/parish. it's a pity none of them were around in 1911, that seems to be the best shot as to finding out where in ireland someone came from.

Comment

Hi Kyle,

I have just emailed the Darlington County Council as you suggested - just hoping that I get a response from them!

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                  familysearch has quite a few marriages for pre registration 1830-1840's, though i can't see your ancestors, and i doubt what they have is complete anyway. i guess you will have to wait and see if they upload anymore. without knowing where in ireland to look, it's nearly impossible to get anywhere. and if you are sure of the county, you still have to narrow down the townland/parish. it's a pity none of them were around in 1911, that seems to be the best shot as to finding out where in ireland someone came from.
                  Thanks for that info Kyle - I wasn't even aware that some of my ancestors came from Ireland until I started this family tree business!!!!!!!!
                  However, there can't be any Irish blood in me - I don't like "Guinness" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian

Comment

haha i don't like it much either, but my 2nd great grandmother swore drinking a guiness a day was good for her health.....the family shrugged her off as a bit of an alcoholic, but she died age 100 in 1970, and a few years ago they found out her excuse was true!

Comment

Working...
                    X