Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this mean she does have the Fathers surname?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this mean she does have the Fathers surname?

Isabella Gorrie Birth.jpgit says Illigitimate but am assuming the Father let her have his name?

Were Isabella Gorrie her first names perhaps? How are the other entries on the page written? Just first names or with surname? My father had an illegitimate cousin who was given his father's surname as his second name but he had his unmarried mother's surname. Also, one set of my 4xgt grandparents didn't get married until days before their 4th child was born. The first three were entered in the parish register with their mother's surname but, like your example, their father named as their father.
    ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
    Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

It looks like it to me.Wouldn't a surname have to be recorded?
      Last edited by fran; 02-01-12, 16:10.

Comment

I would say so Val.

My mother's birth cert reads like that - but in fact the chap never married grandma - she married someone else some time later. (And I can't find much detail on my real g'father :( But mother took his surname.
        Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

On an English Birth Cert the child's names are JUST the forenames. There is no surname for the child on the certificate. Also the father of an illegitimate child had to be present WITH the mother (at this date anyrate) if his name was to be on the certificate.

I know nothing about Scottish certs, though!
          Anne

Comment

I've looked at two scottish births that I have and both have the childs surname on

Linda
            LindaG

Comment

On a Scottish birth cert (I have one here in front of me) column 1 is headed "Name and surname". Mine was a birth in 1879.

So yes, the names in the first column are name and surname (unlike English certs of that time, which inferred a surname).

OC

Comment

thanks everyone I was getting confused as the Fathers name on her marriage isnt David Gorrie but Henry Gorrie ? wondered if the parents had married , looks like they did .
                Last edited by Guest; 02-01-12, 18:45.

Comment

Val

Why do you think the parents married?

OC

Comment

Isabella Glover 1911.jpgI get so confused on the scotlandpeoples site I think I have found her in 1911?
                    and the Mother is now Christina Glover shields ?

Comment

But she didn't marry Isabella's father (David Gorrie) so Isabella is still illegitimate.

I have one Scottish chap, illegitimate on his birth cert, but father named (like yours). When he marries, he gives his father's name, but also illegitimate in brackets. When he dies, his death cert also says illegitimate son of....

They don't mince their words in Scotland!

OC

Comment

oh I see she just uses his name as if she had been married? I dont understand why on the 1911 census Isabella is Isabella Glover and not Gorrie still ?
                        Sorry if I sound thick I probably am.

Comment

Yes mines Scottish too.

And although she took her real father's name - she used it as a middle name, and was known as her mother's surname otherwise.
                          Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

Christina Glover is mother of Isabella Gorrie, who is illegitimate and is the child of David gorrie.

In 1911, Christina Glover is now MRS Christina Glover SHIELDS. Her daughter is Isabella Glover, possibly because they forgot she had been registered as Gorrie and possibly because the neighbours all knew she was illegitimate and she was commonly known as Isabella Glover in the neighbourhood.

The younger children have the Shields surname, as you would expect.

OC

Comment

that makes more sense thanks Dorothy and OC for explaining. I used up so many credits on there cant believe how quickly they disappeared.

Comment

Working...
                              X