Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help help help with Irish search

My GGGGrandparents

Married 28th April 1848 The Belgian Chapel, St. George The Martyr, Southwark, London

John Carroll 25 (born 1823) 17 Princess Row, Union Street Southwark. Father William Carroll a labourer

Mary Butler 23 (born 1825) 17 Princess Row, Union Street, Southwark. Father Pierce
    Butler a labourer

1851 census living Elizabeth Place, Southwark, with 2 children William and Thomas both born St. Saviour's Surrey. John and Mary both born in Ireland.

1861 census living in Model Lodging House. Lambeth with William, Thomas and 5 other children.

1871 no sign of of John and Mary but all children living in various orphanages and some living with older siblings...so no other help with whereabouts in Ireland that John or Mary could have been born.

Really need help with finding where John Carroll and Mary Butler came from in Ireland. Thought I might have luck as I know their parents names but nothing so far.....perhaps someone else might have some luck or know where I could look

Thanks very much

Linda

Ireland is very difficult to research as there are only 2 census to look at 1901 and 1911 - both too late for your search.

have you looked at this set of records on ancestry http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...F0003A49-int=1
    also on familysearch.org.

Margaret

Comment

There are 3 public member trees on ancestry with Mary and her father Pierce in them but none have her mother's name but it might be worth getting in touch with the owners to see if they have any clues to help your search.
      Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret. Two have, I think, have just copied my Tree.

and the other I don't think is correct as it has Mary on 1841 Scottish Census and when you look at it it is Mary CARROLL aged 15 not Mary BUTLER...... with Father John!!

I think they have got in a bit of a muddle!!

Linda

Comment

You could try searching here (not complete yet):

This Irish Government supported, official web site, is dedicated to helping you in your search for records of family history for past generations.

but if you don't know where in Ireland they were born you are stuck!
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Linda, if the marriage records for that area are online, have you tried searching for marriage records of possible siblings of John Carroll & Mary Butler, & then following them through the census records for place of birth? If you can find someone else with William Carroll as father or particularly Pierce Butler you might be in luck & find a more accurate place of birth in the census - though mine didn't state the Irish county of birth until the 1901 census! You could also try tracing the witnesses to the marriage in the same way in case they were from the same area.
            Good luck!

Comment

pierce could be written as peter as a mistake.

Comment

Pierce is quite a common Irish name, though does appear quite a lot within the Butler family dynasty! The Butler family seat is in Tipperary, although you will find Butlers everywhere. The Butlers were Anglo Irish originally, and suffered very much from their Catholicism in Ireland. Piers/Pierce Butler was the eighth Earl of Ormonde. My own folk are from Butler country in Tipperary, but having the same name is really not a lot of help to you, unless you know where your own folk are from. The name Carroll will also appear all over Ireland along with the usual first names of Thomas, John and Mary but Willliam in Ireland is not so popular.

Also remember the Irish naming pattern which you will find at:

You must find the County first before you can go any futher with your Irish Family history.

Janet
                Last edited by Janet; 02-01-12, 12:34.

Comment

Thanks for everyones input.

I have emailed the archive departments of two of the orphanages that two of the children were in to see if there is any more information about them

Thanks

Linda

Comment

Working...
                  X