BMD 2005 onwards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMD 2005 onwards

Is there somewhere, either on line or RO, where I could look for BMD references covering 2005 to closer the present date ?

TIA
    DGJay

I expect one of the more knowledgeable ones will be along some time to explain UK government policy (or lack of) on this topic. It's a question I have wanted to ask for some time.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Nothing on line as far as I know. The indexes can be seen in five or six centres in England, one of which I know is the Plymouth Library.

OC

Comment

For the centres, see
        Order birth, adoption, marriage, civil partnership and death certificates from the General Register Office (GRO) - find GRO index numbers

under the section heading
        Viewing full copies of the indexes
        Elaine

Comment

Not exactly ideal, but I will need to go to City of Westmister for some other records in the near future so will 'kill two birds with one stone'.
          Many thanks
          DGJay

Comment

If you're lucky there may be a regional BMD site which covers your requirements. For example, BathBMD: http://www.bathbmd.org.uk/

The database covers Bath and North East Somerset births, marriages and deaths for the years 1837 to 2007. (Marriages will continue to be added as registers are completed.)
            The CheshireBMD site (http://www.cheshirebmd.org.uk) has coverage which extends for a few marriages up to 2011.

Have a look here: http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/local_bmd
            They vary a lot, though the first set all use the same software, and are quite informative, even at the index stage. They've even got a set-up that allows you to search all the matched software ones in one go.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

For the GRO indexes, the online index to 2005 is more up-to-date and complete than any of the local physical copies apart from the named 5 full sets.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                For the GRO indexes, the online index to 2005 is more up-to-date and complete than any of the local physical copies apart from the named 5 full sets.
                Sorry - I didn't make that very clear.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I wonder why they don't let ancestry and the other sites have the index it must be digitised anyway.

Margaret

Comment

Margaret

I'm sure I read somewhere that it was to try to prevent identity theft.........

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                      Margaret

I'm sure I read somewhere that it was to try to prevent identity theft.........

OC
                      Thanks. It's just so annoying not being able to easily check whether someone is alive or not. I am not too far from Birmingham so could go there if I was really desperate but you would have thought they could have found a way to impose some security measures to minimise the possibility. I'm sure someone who is intent on such a project would not baulk at going to one of the centres.
                      Once again the majority penalised for the actions of a small minority!
                      Margaret

Comment

Working...
                      X