The Elusive Samuel Clarke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Elusive Samuel Clarke

Hi, Trying to find out what happened to one Samuel Clarke, he was born 1865 in Saul, Co. Down, married 1896 at Kilmegan Co.Down, in 1901 his wife and two sons are in Ardrossan, Scotland, but no sign of Samuel, he is not on the 1901 or 1911 census for either Scotland or Ireland, and I cannot find his death anywhere, any help appreciated . Regards Del.
    Researching, Clarke, Calvert, McDowell, McCreadie, Paton and Scott families, Scotland and Ireland, Ayto, Eato, Eatough family, Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire.

Del, welcome to Family Tree Forum.

Presume you have found the wife in the 1901 census in Scotland - what does she give as her marital status?
    Elaine

Comment

Hello, Elaine, In 1901 she is still given as married, she is with her mother, brother and two sons, but Samuel is missing, I can't find him anywhere. Regards Del.
      Researching, Clarke, Calvert, McDowell, McCreadie, Paton and Scott families, Scotland and Ireland, Ayto, Eato, Eatough family, Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire.

Comment

Do you know his occupation when he married?
        Elaine

Comment

Elaine, on the various certificates that have his name on, he is given as a General Labourer, Regards Del.

Comment

Del, just checking the 1901 census for names.
            Can you confirm - is the wife Susanna (1877 Ireland), and children Samuel A (1898 Ireland) and Hugh Joseph (1900 Ardrossan)?
            Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine, Yes that is them, the Samuel A, is Samuel Allan, Samuel seniors mother was Sarah Allan. Regards Del.

Comment

I am not very familiar with Scottish certificates - do you have the marriage certificate of either of the children - does it say whether father is deceased or not?
                Elaine

Comment

Yes Elaine, I have both certificates, Samuel Allan Clarke in 1916, and Hugh Joseph Clarke in 1918, on both certs. their father is given as deceased, also Susanna, their mother, re-marrried in 1912, and on the marriage cert. Samuel is also given as deceased. Regards Del.

Comment

So in theory we are looking for a death between 1900 and 1912.
                    Elaine

Comment

Yes Elaine, Either in Scotland, or Ireland, I cannot prove that Samuel came to Scotland with the rest of his family,youngest son Hugh Joseph being born there still does'nt mean that Samuel was actually there, he may have remained in Ireland. Regards Del.

Comment

Sorry to keep asking questions!
                        Do you know where Samuel was born - was it Co.Down ?
                        Elaine

Comment

Have you discounted this one
                          Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
                          Elaine

Comment

No problem Elaine, I appreciate your interest, I think that Samuel was born in Saul, Co, Down, his parents were Bernard Clarke and Sarah Allan, this is not proved yet, but they had a son there in 1865, only given as MALE, but I'm pretty sure that it is him. Regards Del.

Comment

I have seen that before Elaine, and did wonder, it was the second name being James that put me off it. Regards Del

Comment

As you say there doesn't seem to be any reference to the name James in the family!
                                I am not having much luck finding anything else I am afraid.
                                Elaine

Comment

There is one interesting aspect Elaine, Susanna had two daughters, by fathers unknown, one in 1907, and one in 1910, on their birth certs. she states that Samuel Clarke "is not the father of this child" and further "that she has neither seen or heard of him for seven and eleven years [respectively] since they lived together". Regards Del.

Comment

So it looks possible that Samuel and Susannah had parted company by the time she went to Scotland (c1900) for the birth of the second child.
                                    I've just been looking at passenger lists to America/Canada and the US/Canadian censuses but nothing jumping out at me at the moment.
                                    Do you know if Samuel snr. had any siblings?
                                    Elaine

Comment

There is one thing, on Susanna's death cert. in 1928 it says that she was married 1st to JAMES CLARK, a general labourer, the informant was her 2nd husband, Robert Sanders. Srange one this !. Regards Del.

Comment

I have'nt found any siblings as yet Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X