Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any sites for Scottish war records ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any sites for Scottish war records ?

Gosnell.jpgWould there be any sites specifically for Scotland ???
    wondered if I could find one for my Thomas Henry Gosnell ?? born 1895 Poplar London
    this is him on his marriage cannot quite read what number training reserve but looks like he was a Torpedo Net maker

I think his Medal Index card is on Ancestry Val - there is a link to it in your other post.
    I think you would expect to find his service records on Ancestry as well, if they have survived. I did have a look but I can't see them.
    Elaine

Comment

thanks Elaine that does not give me any info that could help really ? I wasn't too sure if there would be any separate records ?

Comment

Not as far as I know Val - I think the Scottish regiments were all part of the British Army.
        Elaine

Comment

Hi Val
          There appears to have been another Thomas H Gosnell who died in WW1. Named on "The Men of Greenock who died in The Great War" website in 1st Kings Own Scottish Borderers.
          From cwgc website Private Thomas Gosnell 9766 1st Bn Kings Own Scottish Borderers died 4th June 1915. Age unknown no other details. If you do go in search of your Thomas' records worth bearing in mind that there was another man with a similar name. This couldn't be his father could it? Surely he would have been too old, although we have never found him on a census to know exactly when he was born,
          Moggie

Comment

Hi Moggie and thanks it cannot be him as he definitely got married in 1916 in Scotland, but wonder if it could be his father ??? mmmmmmmmm thanks shall have a look

Comment

Hi Val
              I think we can possibly rule out the Greenock one as being the father. Just found this on 1911 census. Thomas Gosnell age 23 born Greenock listed with Overseas military in Ranikhet, India.
              Could your Thomas senior have been born in Scotland & that's why the son ended up there?
              Moggie

Comment

I just noticed I did not thank you for this Moggie, I was looking for my old posts about him and came across this ,as I now have his photo really thrilled.gosnell kilt.jpg
                Last edited by Guest; 14-10-16, 13:14.

Comment

Working...
                X