Where is Dudley?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is Dudley?

I have several people in my tree born/living/dying in Dudley. However, some of them are Dudley, Staffordshire while others are Dudley, Worcestershire.

Which county would be the most appropriate to leave Dudley in? The whole Worcs/Staffs area is confusing me something chronic. :(

Beth

I think it is one of those places that has been affected by a boundary change.

According to registrations districts listed in Genuki, Dudley was classed as Worcestershire from 1837-1966, after which it transferred to Staffordshire.
    Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine, I'll pop them all under Worcestershire. As none have been after 1966.

I wonder about pre-1837 :s

Comment

Dudley is now west midlands,changed once again. If you google you will see it has changed again,although why they cant leave things alone is a mystery to me. (I used to live in the midlands in fact was born and raised there)

Comment

Beth, most of my ancestors are from that area, so I know how confusing it must be.
          Until 1928, Dudley Castle and Priory areas came outside the boundaries of Dudley and were formerly in Staffordshire ( many people still maintain that this part of Dudley was in the Sedgley Manor).

Keep your ancestors in their original parish/county, I'm sure they would appreciate it My home town is Coseley, it is in Staffordshire always has been and for me always will be despite authorities telling me that it is now Bilston(a neighbouring town) and in the West Midlands !

Nina.
          Last edited by Inahaystack; 31-12-11, 11:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Inahaystack View Post
            Beth, most of my ancestors are from that area, so I know how confusing it must be.
            Until 1928, Dudley Castle and Priory areas came outside the boundaries of Dudley and were formerly in Staffordshire ( many people still maintain that this part of Dudley was in the Sedgley Manor).

Keep your ancestors in their original parish/county, I'm sure they would appreciate it My home town is Coseley, it is in Staffordshire always has been and for me always will be despite authorities telling me that it is now Bilston(a neighbouring town) and in the West Midlands !

Nina.
            So keep Dudley within Worcestershire.

What about......

Mushroom Green? Part of Dudley therefore Worcs?
            Amblecote?
            Wollescote?
            Mears Coppice?
            Longton?
            Quarry Bank?
            Cradley Heath?
            Old Swinford?
            Kingswinford?
            Lye?
            Netherton?

Sorry but I'd better get it straight now... lol...

Comment

When I want to find counties I normally google
              "insert place name" registration district genuki

- normally brings up what I am looking for and may also give you dates of when the place moved from one registration district, or county, to another.

A few of your places mentioned on this page
              UKBMD Births, Marriages and Deaths Indexes Online. Local BMD Indexes, Family History, Baptisms, Marriages, Burials, Monumental Inscriptions, Civil Registration, GRO Indexes, BMD, BDM, UK 1841 to 1911 censuses. Who Do You Think You Are?
              Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine..

I'll carry on with that now.. :D

Comment

When you find an event in FreeBMD, you can click on that place, and on the next screen, click here. That also tells you more about the districts that would be reporting.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                    When you find an event in FreeBMD, you can click on that place, and on the next screen, click here. That also tells you more about the districts that would be reporting.
                    I'd forgotten about that.... mind you I don't use FreeBMD all that much! :s

Thank you :D

Comment

Consulted the other half who was born in Rowley Regis. Dudley was an "island" surrounded by Staffordshire so this is our list.
                      Mushroom Green? Part of Dudley therefore Worcs?
                      Amblecote? - Worcs
                      Wollescote? - Worcs
                      Mears Coppice? Staffs
                      Longton? - Don't know - the only Longton I can find was Longton In The Potteries, Staffs and OH doesn't know of this place in The Black Country.
                      Quarry Bank? - Staffordshire
                      Cradley Heath? - Staffordshire (Cradley just up the road was Worcs.)
                      Old Swinford? - Worcs
                      Kingswinford? - Staffs
                      Lye? - Staffs
                      Netherton? - Staffs
                      Folks in The Black Country used to be quite particular about which county they belong to.

Genuki is quite helpful with this sort of query as the old counties are listed as they were in 1830 - go to the County pages and then find Towns and Parishes.

Hope this helps

Ayse

Comment

Thank you Ayse... Very helpful..

I had most of them correct through Genuki but put Netherton and Lye in Worcs... Will change that now... Thanks again! :D

Comment

Working...
                        X