Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is he in the 1861 census?

I am looking for Marmaduke Hitchcox.

He is the illegitimate child of Mary Hitchcox....(Mary went on to marry Edward Bustin)

He was born 3-3-1830 in Middleton-Cheney Northamptonshire.

In the 1841 census he is living with his Grandmother Elizabeth Hitchcox in Middleton-Cheney Northamptonshire

In 1851 he is living with his mother and her husband Edward Bustin and their children Martha Edward and Samuel.

I cant find him in 1861...................there is a Marmaduke George Hitchcox that I can find in 1871 and other later census....but I think that particular Marmaduke is the child of Thomas and Mary Hitchcox born 30-4-1826 in Middleton-Cheney Northamptonshire.

Possible death in London

HITCHCOX, Marmaduke George
    Registration District: Shoreditch
    Year of Registration: 1852
    Oct-Nov-Dec
    Volume No: 1C
    Page No: 135

Comment

I had ruled that Marmaduke George Hitchcox out......there is a birth for Marmaduke George Hitchcox in Shoreditch in 1851.

My Marmaduke Hitchcox never had a middle name that I know of.

Comment

OK, I'll take another look.

Jane

Comment

Well, I've had a go, but he really is elusive!

Have you found Edward BUSTIN in 1881? - he doesn't seem to die until 1883q1, but Mary is a "widow" in 1881!

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I ought to mention one thought... perhaps he simply decided to change his name? Perhaps Marmaduke was too cumbersome. Or there was some other issue, and he just changed
            his name.
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I was thinking along the same lines................a name change or immigration.

Thank you for looking.

Comment

I'm still looking for him, but in I've found in 1841 Edward Bustin was living with Marmaduke and his grandmother. No sign of Mary there though, although I haven't actually looked for her in 1841.

There is nothing listed on Ancestry for his emigration, although the boy with the noose is stopping any further investigation at the moment. :(
                My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

There is a marriage for a Marmaduke Hitchcox on FreeBMD in Kings Norton, Sept qtr 1858 (6c 551) to Elvira Ellen Hughes.

I haven't found them in any census yet though.
                  Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 02-01-12, 07:58. Reason: adding correct spouse

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Originally posted by LangleyValeSue View Post
                    There is a marriage for a Marmaduke Hitchcox on FreeBMD in Kings Norton, Sept qtr 1858 (6c 551) to Elvira Ellen Hughes.

I haven't found them in any census yet though.
                    I think he may have married the other bride, Elizabeth YARDLEY. I found a Thomas DALE with wife, Ellen, in the 1861. That's not definitive, but it does suggest you may be better off looking for an Elizabeth.

Christine

Comment

There is also a Thomas Dale with wife Elizabeth in Aston, Birmingham in 1861. They have a 2 year old daughter, which suggested to me a marriage around 1858.
                      I think the only definite way to discover who Marmaduke married is to get the certificate.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Working...
                      X