Help with William Robinson please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with William Robinson please

William Robinson was born in Pleasley Nottinghamshire 1823. His parents were Samuel Robinson and Susannah Slack. I have his baptism but then he disappears in to cyber space until 1862 when he marries Matilda Wilkinson in Ravenfield Rotherham. Where was he on the 1841, 51 and 61 census returns?

Sandra

Do you know if Samuel and Susannah had any other children?
    Have you found William in the census after his marriage, if so what does he give as place of birth.
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine,

Samuel and Susannah had five other known children Ann b1826, George b1829, Frances 1831, Samuel 1834, and Rhoda 1839. On the 1871 census William gives his place of birth as Calow(Derbyshire). This would fit as Ann, George and Frances were baptised here. William died in 1878.

Sandra

Comment

What about this one in 1851?? But no sign of William - still looking

Class: HO107; Piece: 2343; Folio: 109; Page: 12;
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Do you have the marriage certificate - if so what did William give as his occupation in 1862?
          Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine,

I don't have his marriage certificate but I have the next best thing -http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Misc/Transcriptions/WRY/RavenfieldMarriages1800-1899.html

His occupation is a labourer - not very helpful.

Hi Herky,

I will have a look at the census tomorrow when I have remembered how to enter the data to find the census return - i have done it before. I think it is just getting a bit late!!

Sandra

Comment

Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post
              Hi Elaine,

I don't have his marriage certificate but I have the next best thing -http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Misc/Transcriptions/WRY/RavenfieldMarriages1800-1899.html

His occupation is a labourer - not very helpful.

Hi Herky,

I will have a look at the census tomorrow when I have remembered how to enter the data to find the census return - i have done it before. I think it is just getting a bit late!!

Sandra
              I am not even sure if it is the same family as the wife is Ann not Susannah - perhaps a second marriage.
              Anyway - here are the details

1851 census, Brompton, Yorkshire.
              Samuel Robinson b c 1800, Pleasley Hill, Ag Lab
              Ann Robinson, wife, b c 1813
              George,son, b c 1830, Cabow
              Frances, dau, b c 1832, Cabow, deaf and dumb
              Joseph, son b c 1846, Brampton, Yorkshire
              Mary, dau, b c 1849 , Brampton
              herky
              Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Hi Herky,

I feel I should offer you an apology. I have this census return as it relates to Samuel(my three times great grandfather). You are correct in surmising that Ann was his second wife. Samuel married Ann Roddis in 1844. His first wife Susannah Slack died in 1840.

My 2x Great Grandmother was Rhoda Burton nee Robinson and he is living next to her in 1871. I just can not find where William was on the census returns prior to this.

It looks like his siblings came with their parents when the family moved to Rotherham - but did William come with them? He had aunts and uncles in Calow Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire.

Sandra
                Last edited by Sherbertrose; 30-12-11, 08:34.

Comment

do you know for definate that he didnt marry before 1862 Sandra?
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

It is strange that William can't be found - I will keep looking though - I did find him (well I think it's him) in 1871 but alone without Matilda.
                    But just can't find him in 1841,51 and 61,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ravenfield, Rotherham
                    herky

Comment

Hi Julie,

I don't know for certain that William had not been previously married.......but Jack Parry who has done the transcriptions is very good and if he was recorded as a widow I am sure Jack would have recorded the fact - this is how I found out that my 3x great grandfather has been married prior to his marriage to Rhoda Robinson.

Herky,
                      Sadly Matilda died in child birth in 1869 her burial was on the same day as their son was baptised. Charles was buried 15 weeks later. He obviously did not thrive with out his mum.

Sandra

Comment

Herky,
                        Sadly Matilda died in child birth in 1869 her burial was on the same day as their son was baptised. Charles was buried 15 weeks later. He obviously did not thrive with out his mum.

Sandra

Oh that is sad - but why can't I find him earlier....you must be very frustrated by this.
                        herky

Comment

Working...
                        X