Death in India

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death in India

Edward Mitchell died in India in 1860 - indexed on familysearch.

Would there be any other records regarding his death - anywhere? Anyway to know if he was in a military service at the time?

Thanks
    Sarah

the certificate would give his occupation, so if he was int he army, it would give the regiment, even if he was a pensioner. my 3rd great grandad was a gardener when he died, but on the cert, it said he was a pensioner, and gave the regiment details, which were invaluable.

Comment

He was only 21 when he died, so definitely not a pensioner!

Ugh, I ventured into British deaths in India once, and never figured how the entries were ordered on the film. I'll have to try again.

Thanks Kyle.

Comment

Wait a moment.

Kyle, what do you mean, "cert"? The type of record that is indexed on familysearch, or a GRO cert? How would I know what to order from GRO?

Comment

there is an overseas death index on findmypast, you can get a cert from the GRO with it. i don't know if it would be the same as ordering the LDS roll though.

Comment

i could not see an entry, fibis says registration began in india in 1864, but i would have thought a british citizen's death would have been registered before then. maybe the LDS roll is a burial entry?

Comment

Aren't the India records quite separate from FMP overseas BMDs??
              Margaret

Comment

Yes, the familysearch entry is a burial. Dunno if the FMP overseas will include India, but I will look.

But if he was in the military, would it be in the overseas deaths? Or, to put it another way, were the overseas deaths both military and civilian? Any British citizen dying overseas?

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                  Yes, the familysearch entry is a burial. Dunno if the FMP overseas will include India, but I will look.

But if he was in the military, would it be in the overseas deaths? Or, to put it another way, were the overseas deaths both military and civilian? Any British citizen dying overseas?
                  The deaths index does include Army and Civilian (Consulate) but they are recorded in two separate registers so when you look on FMP you choose one or the other if you know or both if you don't!!
                  Margaret
                  Last edited by margaretmarch; 28-12-11, 16:15.

Comment

Just a small point - my 3 x GGf was a Pensioner at the age of 27, having been invalided out of the army in 1842.

OC

Comment

Why dont you send his details to the India List at rootsweb and see what the members can come up with for you http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/i...IND/INDIA.html click on the link and write subscribe, once you get an acceptance e mail then ask your question

Edna

Comment

Thanks, Edna - I'll retrieve the burial record (I hope) then pursue that idea.

Comment

I rather think that his birth and baptism in 1838 are showing up on the British Library India family history site (in association with FIBIS): http://indiafamily.bl.uk

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Drat, again -
                            I hope not. I'm looking for an Edward Mitchell born 1839 in Stepney. Haven't been able to locate him after 1851. If that were he in 1860, in military service, it would fit with my theories about his parents' family!
                            Thanks, Christine, I'll keep it in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                              Drat, again -
                              I hope not. I'm looking for an Edward Mitchell born 1839 in Stepney. Haven't been able to locate him after 1851. If that were he in 1860, in military service, it would fit with my theories about his parents' family!
                              Thanks, Christine, I'll keep it in mind.
                              That's the problem when people have not-rare names. You end up with a lot of possibles. With rare names, of course, you get mistranscriptions galore, and variants, so each brings its own hazards!

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                              X