Google mail/windows live mail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google mail/windows live mail

As I understand it that Gmail and Windows Live are viewed and saved on the providers server.

If I closed my Gmail account that I would not be able to view my saved emails ever again, is this correct?

If I have got this correct (probably have not) the only good thing about it would be 'fingers crossed' I should not download a virus?
    Where as with my Windows Mail (not Live Mail) I receive the actual mail on my PC's Hard Drive. Not sure how I view them when off line when the talktalk server is down!

Can some kind member help sort my mind out - I think that it is only the Christmas Spirit. Happy New year to all.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Yes GMail is stored on Google servers. If you closed the account all e-mails would disappear into the ether!

With Windows Mail you are downloading the messages to your PC but you are relying on your PC's antivirus to screen the messages. GMail scans for viruses etc at Google's server.

GMail also has the advantage that you can access it from any PC and you won't lose anything if your PC dies on you.

Hope this helps.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi Wendy,

Thank you kindly for confirming the detail I am thinking that Windows Live will be the same way as gmail and hotmail -viewed on a server.
      It looks as if I will always have to copy and paste into Word anything important if I wish to save it.
      Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

I have been using Windows Mail on my laptop (OS Vista) for some time, downloading emails into the program to read.
        I have just installed Windows Live Mail which is very similar to Windows Mail, a program on my laptop and the emails download into it for reading/saving/answering.
        I can still if I want to read and respond to my emails on the web server - useful if I am away from home or more importantly away from my computer.

I have various email accounts under my control (6 at the last count!). Four of these are gmail accounts , two of which I only read/write on the server as they are accounts shared with other people (charities or organisations I am involved in). The other two are totally personal to me and so I download them to my own computer. Just because it's a gmail account, it doesn't mean that you can only read them on the server.
        Elaine

Comment

Yep I download my gmail emails onto my computer as well. Seem to remember that there was a thread on here about how to do it a few years back and I just followed the instructions on how to set it up.

Linda
          LindaG

Comment

The only way that I have found to download my Gmail is to link it to my Windows Mail where I get a copy of it fall into the mailbox (often duplicates of each one).

So when I am forced to use Windows Live via Windows 7 when I change my PC as I understand it I will again be stuck with my emails on another server and not my PC.

If I Export Mail I only appear to get a link to the mail which is not a lot of use if I wished to change my providers.

A Happy New Year all members and guests for 2012.
            Last edited by Margaret N; 28-12-11, 22:00.
            Margaret N

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret N View Post
              So when I am forced to use Windows Live via Windows 7 when I change my PC as I understand it I will again be stuck with my emails on another server and not my PC.
              Sorry Margaret, I don't understand your problem. If you want to download your emails to your PC then you can, even with Windows Live. If you prefer to read them on the server then leave them there. The choice is yours.
              Elaine

Comment

I have Windows7 and I use Thunderbird for my e-mails, although my account is actually with GMail. Thunderbird is set up so ALL my e-mails are redirected to my PC where I can read and reply to them.

I don't understand why you would be forced to use Windows Live. I don't even have it on my PC.
                Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Sorry everyone for a badly explained thread as I said earlier this could just be the 'seasons spirits'.
                  I feel sure that I have it all sorted now it was just the way that both ~Comet and PCW gave me some odd information about Windows Live. I realise now it was all rubbish.
                  Last edited by Margaret N; 29-12-11, 11:31.
                  Margaret N

Comment

Working...
                  X