Bit of history in Elgin & Forres, Moray, Scotland - news 1794

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit of history in Elgin & Forres, Moray, Scotland - news 1794

Found this in Gale collection via my online Public Library a/c, whilst researching Dr James Coull, who attended this meeting. I have just included names of those attending who are of interest to me - there were others:

Burney Collection: The Sun 22/7/1794 issue 566

‘At a numerous and respectable Meeting of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of the County, held at Elgin the first day of July current called by the Right Honourable the Earl of Moray Lord Lieutenant of the County on purpose to consider of proper measures for the internal defence thereof.

Present: Earl of Moray
    Col Grant of ?Moy
    William Dunbar, Town Clerk of Forres
    Dr James Coull of Ashgrove
    Lieutenant Alexander Grant, for Colonel Grant, of Ballindoch
    Lieutenant William Grant, for Robert Grant of Wester ?Elchies
    James Grant, at Granton, for Sir James Grant of Grant
    Alexander Penrose Cumming of Altyre
    and others

The Lord Lieutenant having stated the purpose for which he had called the Gentlemen together, and the instructions transmitted to him by his Majesty’s Secretary of State, respecting the Internal Defence of the Country, it is their duty to come forward and declare their sentiments; and with this view agreed to enroll their Names for the purpose of repelling all Foreign Enemies, supporting the Established Government, and suppressing all Riots and Tumults within the County.

The Meeting also declared their firm and unequivocal attachment to the present happy constitution of this Country, as established in King, Lords and Commons. That they abhor and detest all levelling and Republican principles tending to subvert the same, and which can only produce anarchy and confusion, and the overthrow of all regular Government; and signed the Declaration containing these Resolutions.

The Meeting recommended to the Heritors of the County and the Magistrates of the Royal Boroughs of Elgin and Forres, to lodge with the Clerk a list of such Gentlemen, Farmers, Burgesses and others, as are willing to give their aid and support to the above plan; and such of them as shall be approved of by the County Committee, shall be received upon their enrolling themselves, according to the Rules agreed on, and signing the Declaration adopted by the Meeting.

The Thanks of the Meeting were unanimously voted to the Lord Lieutenant and the Sheriff Depute, for their attention to the interest of the County; and they appointed their Resolutions to be published in the Edinburgh Evening Courant, the Caledonian Mercury, The Sun and the Aberdeen Journal.'

I am learning about Scottish history through doing this but easily get confused! Who would the levellers and Republicans be at that time? This is after Bonnie Prince Charlie? Oh dear, I should go and Google...
    Liz

I wonder if this was the "bonnie Earl o' Moray", who was slain and laid on the green. The fairly recent TV series on the history of Scotland (presenter's name escapes me for the moment) gave a very good insight into Scotland's convoluted and turbulent past.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Oh Uncle John, I wish I had seen it...I wasn't aware of my family tree links to that period in Scotland until recently.
      Liz

Comment

a history of scotland? by an archaeologist? neil oliver was his name.

Comment

Oooh Kyle, thank you for that...Amazon have the DVD of the programme:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...3HYNN1RNWXA4NA

And just the BBC book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Scot...4895787&sr=1-1

Both DVD and book are available at my Public Library so have ordered the book from them.

And here are the words to the song Uncle John referred to - isn't Google wonderful sometimes...From the history below, it isn't the same Earl o' Moray:

Ye Heilan's and ye lowlands, whaur hae ye been?
          Ye hae slain the Earl o' Moray and laid him on the green
          He was a braw gallant, he played at the ball
          The bonnie Earl o' Moray was the floo'er amang them all

And woe betide ye, Huntly, wherefore were ye, Tay
          I bad ye bring him tae ma, forbad ye him tae slay
          He was a braw gallant, he played at the ring
          The bonnie Earl o' Moray micht hae been the king

Lang may his lady
          Look fae the castle Doune
          'Ere she sees the Earl o' Moray
          Gang soondin' through the toon

Ye Heilan's and ye lowlands, whaur hae ye been?
          Ye hae slain the Earl o' Moray and laid him on the green
          He was a braw gallant, he played at the glove
          The bonnie Earl o' Moray, he was the queen's true love

You can hear the music on the website I took the words from:

http://www.lyricstime.com/old-blind-...ay-lyrics.html

And the history of the song:

The ballad is based on a historical incident. James Stewart, 2nd Earl of Moray (Lord Doune) was the son-in-law of the regent (also James Stewart). James VI of Scotland suspected Moray, had been involved with the Earl of Bothwell (Francis Stewart, nephew of James Hepburn, Earl of Bothwell who had wed Mary, Queen of Scots) in an attempt on the king's life. James VI issued a warrant for Moray's arrest in 1592, charging George Gorden, 6th Earl of Huntly, with carrying it out. Huntly had a long-standing feud with Moray and rather than arrest him, Huntly killed Moray outside Moray's castle in Fife. Moray's mother took the corpse to Holyrood Palace where it lay uninterred for months.

Other sources attribute the attack on Moray, at least in part, to jealousy, as the ballad suggests.

The Earl of Huntly also figures in the old Scots Ballad Geordie.

http://www.contemplator.com/scotland/moray.html
          Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 26-12-11, 09:51.
          Liz

Comment

Somewhere I have a whole stack of history on the Grants. My lot are loads of Grants and Gordons from that area. There are two distinct families of both Grants and Gordons and I have all of them...lol

At some stage (prior to Culloden, I know that much) they split. It's coming back to me but probably not correct....I'll find it in my clean up this week and see if it has any of the people you've mentioned.

Comment

Thanks Libby...the Grants aren't in the tree I am researching except by reference of Dr Thomas Coull who seems to have had links to the Grants of Grant. The Coulls are my main interest.
              Liz

Comment

This website has history of Scotland in rhyme (with notes). Also has Cullen, Banff M.I., Marriages etc. Very useful.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/sheena_charles/Scothist.htm
                Liz

Comment

Working...
                X