Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE Morton Lowry Looking for Lowater/Barnato

Hi and seasonal greetings everyone.
    I am currently looking for info that relates to my partners father, actor Morton Lowry, Born Edward Morton Lowater 13 feb 1914 lancashire to Bithiah Holmes and Edward Morton Lowater, died indigent san fransico 1987 .

I know quite a bit about his early family history, and all about his film/tv career, but his private life is very wrongly accounted for publicly online, a lot of mis information out there about the basics which I wont dwell on only to say he was NOT still married to Lilian Bond when he died as wrongly stated on the internet in places, middle name not Raymond, not born London nor in 1908 or 1916 etc etc... truly I could go on!

It is the son from a his marriage/relationship with Virgina Barnato that I am trying to find out about,
    name removed - possible living person
    Birth Date: 1 Aug 1939
    Mother's Maiden Name: Barnato
    Birth County: Los Angeles

Family lore suggests that once that marriage/relationship broke down, he severed ties with the child as well. I wonder what has happened to his son, did he change his name? I cant find out anything at all about him, marriage, death etc and would dearly like to know what I can. I tried under a combination of these names, - names removed -/lowater/lowry/Barnato/Flory but cant seem to come up with anything but a birth year....so any help would be much appreciated.

Virginia was a socialite from a famous family, granddaughter of Barney Barnato, diamond dealer, daughter of racing driver and playboy Woolfe Joel Barnato and Dorothy Maitland Falk and her sister went on to be a wonderfully writen about lady aviator, all I know aboiut Virginia is that she initially lived quite the jet set lifestyle, dabbled in acting herself and became engaged to Edward Lowater in 1938. Later she went on to re-marry in 1954 back in the uk to 'Yann Flory' (about whom I can find out nothing) and she died back in the uk also, in 1980...So no idea if her son ended up in the uk or stayed in the states,,, any ideas folks?
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 24-12-11, 08:12. Reason: name removed - possible living person ..

Sorry, I have had to remove the name from the post as it may relate to a living person. Our Ts & Cs state that names of living persons should not be published on the open forum.

If anyone thinks they can help then you can send the information to them via PM (private message).
    Elaine

Comment

Ah ok thanks sorry I forgot about that! I hope people will take the time to contact me if they feel they are able to help as it is hard to research without the first name visable, please email me and I will give you his first name, thanks :-)

Comment

I'm sure you already know this, but I'm just adding this information for other searchers.

There was a child born in March 1953, registered as Flory, mmn Barnato. This registration was later amended in 1961, I wonder why. The Flory/Barnato marriage did not take place until 1954 and the Flory side of the marriage has not yet been transcribed.

If you do not already have this birth cert, it might be worth getting it.

OC

EDIT - I;'ve removed my first edit as it was wrong, lol. I'm going for a very long lie down now, before I get even more confused!

(Your seach is not going to be helpded because there are TWO actors called Morton Lowry)
        Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 24-12-11, 11:51.

Comment

I believe that the US 1940 census will be online in about 6 months, which should at least help you to confirm the child's name and whereabouts in 1940.

Comment

The child born in 1953 is probably still alive (at least there was no death registered in England and Wales up to 2005), so I'll PM the details to AJ in case s/he doesn't have them.

The child was originally registered in 1953 under a different surname, and re-registered in 1961.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              the Flory side of the marriage has not yet been transcribed.
              Not sure where you're searching, but it's on Ancestry.

Comment

I was looking on Freebmd, Mary, I no longer have access to ancestry.

There are two marriages for EM Lowater, one 1934, which ended in death or divorce, because the female remarried in 1941.

There is another EML marriage in 1957. However, as there are at least two men named EM Lowater, it's difficult to know who is who.

I imagine there was no marriage between Lowater and Barnato, as she marries using only her maiden name, but that is not conclusive of course - she may not have wanted her new husband to know she was a divorcee. (Unlikely scenario though - it wouldn't have been frowned on in the haut mond, lol)

OC

Comment

Hi there, its quite possible that Virginia had another child in 1954 with Flory! Yes I was aware that tehre is another actor called Morton Lowry although I cant find out much about what the other one was in other than a short film called 'Boo!' I am definitely looking for the one who was in such films as 'hound of the baskervilles' 'how green is my valley' 'the picture of Dorian gray' 'dawn patrol' etc etc

He was married a minimum of 3 times, once to D. Whalley, once to Virginia Barnato (as far as I know) once to Lilian Bond (actress) and finally as far as I know, to P. Barham, my partners mother which was in 1957.

Comment

There's a snippet about Morton Lowry on Google book search, but the part I've managed to extract doesn't help:

Films and filming: Volumes 352-636, 1984

MORTON LOWRY
                    Please publish a biography of Morton Lowry, best remembered as the sadistic schoolmaster in How Green Was My Valley. Whatever became of him? (Mr. MEA, Chester.)
                    Is Morton Lowry still living? I last saw him In a Jayne Mansfield picture, Too Hot to Handle (1960), playing a bit part as a taxi driver. (Mr. DR, Whitefield, Manchester.)
                    Have you any details about Morton Lowry, who went to Hollywood in 1938 and appeared In over two dozen films there? He returned to Britain after World War II, but nothing is known about him after 1962. (Mr. KS, London NW11. ...
                    Each post brings a new enquiry about Morton Lowry. I've spent many months scouring the archives of the world for titbits about him, but I must now report that almost the sum total of our knowledge is contained in the three letters above. He is not listed in any reference book, and both the British and American branches of Equity, the actors' union, claim to have no record of him. I have reason to believe that he is still alive. Does someone reading this have more information? Morton Lowry appeared in the following films ...

Comment

Hi old crone! ... yes Morton Lowater comes from a long line of Morton Lowaters, and he used the name lowater and lowry, he was married at least 3 times. the last marriage being to my partners mother in London, surnames of marriages were WHalley, Barnato, Bond and Barham.... As I have said there is a lot of mis information on line which largely is in retrospective and from movie buff type sites.

Comment

Hi there Mary, yes I got in touch with the v&A theatre archives in teh uk and new york librarys archives and got as much as possible about his carreer. I assure you he is dead however and cremated as well!
                        Thanks for the snippet Mary, as I am always keen to look at anything that shows he was still thought of. Sad to find that he died indigent and his ashes were never claimed, his ashes were later buried at badego bay cemetery, he never was claimed, such a shame :-(

Comment

There are two marriages for EM Lowater, one 1934, which ended in death or divorce, because the female remarried in 1941.
                          They were divorced. I won't put the details on here in case she's still alive, but AJ can find the details here:

Comment

Hi there, thats great thanks Mary, it was one of the marriages I came across first and was his first marriage, she isnt alive as I was in touch with someone from her family not long ago, who was lovely enough to share with us some very nice personal photos from their own albums :-)

Comment

No, I meant that there are definitely two ACTORS called Morton Lowry, one is yours, the other one isn't, lol, but I would imagine that for an unrlated researcher on "Morton lowry, the Actor" it could get very confusing, if they don't realise they are two different men.

A thought - Virginia will have left a Will. She may mention her first child, so I would think it worth getting a copy. Certainly worth trying to trace the child born in 1953 as they may know what happened to the first child.

OC

Comment

No, I meant that there are definitely two ACTORS called Morton Lowry,
                                I saw this page:

But the dates and places don't check out, so I don't think it's very reliable.

Comment

Yes, I saw that too Mary and I did wonder if someone had got into a real big muddle and there was in fact only one Morton Lowry after all, lol.

Gosh, that first marriage didn't last long, did it.

OC

Comment

imdb is one of the least reliable of sources on him sadly, once I do get things all straightened out in chronological order and such I will send in updates to some of the film websites as corrections, they are ok for the films listed but the bio isnt all it ought to be obviously I wouldnt like to give out all the personal info but there is a lot I can put straight, which I think is long overdue in being done :-)

Comment

I've found a cutting in the Times about the funeral of Dorothy Maitland Wainwright (formerly Barnato née Falk) in 1961, with the names of the people attending. The two daughters (Diana and Virginia) and Virginia's husband were there, plus two grandsons (Diana's son and one of Virginia's). No other family mentioned.

If you'd like a copy, PM me your e-mail address.

Comment

That's interesting, Mary, because Diana's son was illegitimate, so you would have thought that Virginia's son would also have been accepted and acknowledged if he was still a member of the family. It would suggest that the child born in 1939 either died, or was adopted out.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X