Edith Levien Thompson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edith Levien Thompson

Please can somebody help. Today I have been sent a copy of the marriage certificate of Peter Letchford and Edith Levien Thompson. They were married at Paddington Registry Office on 23/2/1918. He was a 61 year old widower, an accountant and she a 35 year old spinster. She dropped the name Thompson for the wedding and called herself Edith Levien. Her late father also lost the Thompson name and was elevated from French Polisher to a yacht builder! But then Peter's father Frederick had been a merchant!

I can find no records for Peter other than this wedding and wonder if anybody could help me.

Di

I know you are looking for Peter but was Edith's death in Paddington in 1958?
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thanks for taking an intererest Herky. Edith was my great-aunt so I have all her details. It's Peter and where he suddenly sprung from that intrigues me. I can see a couple of Frederick Letchfords in the London area, but can't even find Peter's first marriage. Unfortunately I don't have access to the 1911 census.

Di

Comment

Hi again,
        I was having a scout about last night but I just can't find a trace of Peter - I wonder if he used another first name??
        I did try variations on his last name but still nothing.
        As you say he appears for his marriage and then just vanishes.
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

hmmmn this is interesting, there is a Percy Letchgord with father Frederick that is a wine merchant

1871: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1871&indiv=1

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 326; Folio: 13; Page: 19; GSU roll: 818899
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Oh - well done - age is correct too for Peter/Percy.
            herky

Comment

If Peter and Percy are the same one - there is a Percy T LETCHFORD died in Paddington in 1938 with birth c 1858
              herky

Comment

I did see that one too, and there is a marriage as well in about 1898, though, it looks like the wife didnt die until 1945, so this begs the question, is this the same person and did they marry bigamously? there is also a will for Percy T Letchford in 1938, though his effects are left to someone not with the same name.
                Julie

Comment

Name: Percy Tilt Letchford
                  Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1898
                  Registration district: Chelsea
                  Inferred County: London
                  Volume Number: 1a
                  Page Number: 935

spouse florence emily hardwick

probate 1938 : http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=8913
                  Julie

Comment

Just noticed the probate - I have now got doubts about Percy T - just noticed you have done the same Julie - but, as usual you are a lot quicker than me ( though I did have a shower and wash my hair in between and that is my excuse - he he).
                    herky

Comment

lol!! sorry, I cant find anything on Percy/Peter for 1911, though there is a tree for Percy T as well, http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/102...son/6012226346

not sure what else to look at now..
                      Julie

Comment

I'd quite like him to be a bigamist!

Di

Comment

Gave up my Ancestry membership, so unfortunately can't access any of your links.

Di

Comment

Peter's address on the 1918 marriage certificate is given as 31, Delamere Terrace, Paddington if that comes up anywhere.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                              I did see that one too, and there is a marriage as well in about 1898, though, it looks like the wife didnt die until 1945, so this begs the question, is this the same person and did they marry bigamously? there is also a will for Percy T Letchford in 1938, though his effects are left to someone not with the same name.
                              Actually, although probate was granted to someone with a different surname that doesn't mean the effects were left to him, just that he was an executor of the will, responsible for carrying out Percy's wishes.
                              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by DiD View Post
                                Gave up my Ancestry membership, so unfortunately can't access any of your links.

Di
                                this is what the probate says for 1938

re the ancestry tree, if you goto www.mundia.com and register you can search their trees and contact the tree owner (its Ancestrys sister site)
                                Julie

Comment

Originally posted by DiD View Post
                                  Peter's address on the 1918 marriage certificate is given as 31, Delamere Terrace, Paddington if that comes up anywhere.

Di
                                  I haven't gone through the thread again so apologies if this has been mentioned already, also it doesn't get us any further apart from his whereabouts in 1911 (I don't have access to this census apart from what is on Ancestry - the full census may give his birth place)..........................

the 1911 census summary books gives 31 Delamere Tce as having a Mr Letchford and he is on his own. Unfortunately the summary books don't give first names, which is a pity if he is not using the name Peter.
                                  herky

Comment

Hi,
                                    Just found this 1911 census - Percy Tilt LETCHFORD is living, on his own, at 31 Delamere Tce. EDIT - it is listed as LATCHFORD
                                    Financial agent, b London.
                                    Married 12 years, no children
                                    Last edited by herky; 22-12-11, 22:13.
                                    herky

Comment

Oh wow!

Di

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
                                        Hi,
                                        Just found this 1911 census - Percy Tilt LETCHFORD is living, on his own, at 31 Delamere Tce. EDIT - it is listed as LATCHFORD
                                        Financial agent, b London.
                                        Married 12 years, no children
                                        oooooooooooooooooooooooooohhh Herky! that kind of confirms things then do we think?

Well done Herky!
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X