Am I on the wrong track?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I on the wrong track?

I have a marriage cert for Joseph Crozier 1900 (aged 25) which says he is a widower.

I searched for a previous marriage and came up with one to Florence Lydia Smith in Dec Qtr 1896. There is a death record for Florence Crozier in Sep Qtr 1897 (aged 21) which seems feasible.

There is also a death record for Florence Lydia Crozier (aged 0) in Mar Qtr 1898. So I then searched for her birth for and found it in Dec Qtr 1897.

All were registered in Gateshead.

So my question is, was the registration of the child's birth delayed because of the mother's death taking precedence? Or do you think the mother and child are totally unrelated.

Any advice welcome.
    Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Unlikely - the registration would be a year late, which would have attracted a fine and the child would have been 1 at death, not 0.

Much more likely to be the birth of a child to a close relative. Mine did this all the time, named the next born child after someone who had died in the family. I would be looking at Joseph's brothers etc.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
      Unlikely - the registration would be a year late, which would have attracted a fine and the child would have been 1 at death, not 0.
      OC
      But if Florence Crozier died in childbirth in Sep qtr 1897 and Florence Lydia died in Mar qtr 1898, she wouldn't have reached her first birthday. If Florence died late in the quarter and Florence Lydia was registered early in the next quarter, that would fit.
      Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

I have the same thing with one of mine - She died in childbirth in late September, but the baby wasn't registered until early October, so they are in 2 different quarters. The death is generally registered immediately, but they have a few weeks to do the birth.
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

Much more likely to be the birth of a child to a close relative. Mine did this all the time, named the next born child after someone who had died in the family. I would be looking at Joseph's brothers etc.

OC
          OC, sorry but if the child's birth was registered in Dec 1897 which is the quarter after the mother died then why would it be a year late?? And her death was registered 2 quarters later in March 1898.

Am I getting confused or you - LOL!
          Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Originally posted by lorry53 View Post
            But if Florence Crozier died in childbirth in Sep qtr 1897 and Florence Lydia died in Mar qtr 1898, she wouldn't have reached her first birthday. If Florence died late in the quarter and Florence Lydia was registered early in the next quarter, that would fit.
            Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
            I have the same thing with one of mine - She died in childbirth in late September, but the baby wasn't registered until early October, so they are in 2 different quarters. The death is generally registered immediately, but they have a few weeks to do the birth.
            So it's not me then??
            I think the middle name clinches it but do you agree?
            Lynne

Comment

Originally posted by Granny Lynne View Post
              So it's not me then??
              I think the middle name clinches it but do you agree?
              The only way to confirm it would be with the certificates, but I think you're on the right track.
              Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Thanks lorry, I think I will order the certs to make sure.
                Lynne

Comment

Oh, I'm sorry, I was reading the wrong date! I thought it was 1896, sorry.

Yes, six weeks to register a birth but only six DAYS to register a death.

OC

Comment

No problem OC, no need to apologise.
                    Lynne

Comment

Working...
                    X