Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone identify the regiment?

Hi all,

I've been doing some research for my sister-in-law and have a problem, to say the least, on her father's side as he was illegitimate. The only information they have is a single picture and a belief that her paternal grandfather may have been Canadian. Her father was George Joseph Park Holloway b. 19 Oct 1917 d. 15 Jun 1981. George was his maternal grandfather's name, but there is no Joseph or Park in his immediate family, so I think it's possible that his father was called Joseph Park. As the picture shows a man in uniform, it's possible that he was a Canadian soldier in WWI. I have found a Joseph Park who joined the Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Force in 1914 and survived the war, but haven't been able to establish whether he was in England at any time, so am continuing to look into that. The reason I'm posting here is to ask if any military experts could possibly identify a regiment from this picture. A long shot, I know, but worth a try!

Thanks.
    Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Armed Forces research

Hi, I've no idea what the uniform is. Why not post on one of the many armed forces websites. I'm sure someone will recognise the emblem on the collar.

Comment

Thanks, Bearger, I may have to resort to that.
      Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Why not join the great war forum. They have many experts on badges there (I am not one of those) and post your query there.

Also if you google collar badges ww1 there are dozens of examples there, and you may be able to identify your man's badge from that.
        Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Also, have you looked for his Canadian CEF records at the Canadian National Archives? If you can find his attestation papers on ancestry, you can use them to produce the CEF records

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy View Post
            Why not join the great war forum. They have many experts on badges there (I am not one of those) and post your query there.

Also if you google collar badges ww1 there are dozens of examples there, and you may be able to identify your man's badge from that.
            Thanks, grumpy. I joined a military badge forum and it's been identified as Canadian. :D

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
              Also, have you looked for his Canadian CEF records at the Canadian National Archives? If you can find his attestation papers on ancestry, you can use them to produce the CEF records
              I have, PhotoFamily. Although we don't know his name for sure, the Joseph Park I found is certainly fitting the bill. I found attestation papers for him, so now that the Canadian link has been confirmed I'll be pursuing that line of enquiry.

Comment

Working...
              X