german phrase from ship's list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• german phrase from ship's list

i have received a german passenger list for 1862, i am trying to understand the meaning of a phrase. 'geburts und wohnort', google translations seems to think it has something to do with a birthplace. which makes sense since the abbreviation 'geb.' is used for 'born' in german.
    this is the first image for a shipping list i have. i have seen other transcripts, but the native town or city mentioned is usually the residence of the passengers before leaving the country, not their birthplace.

is the meaning of the phrase birthplace, or place of residence?

Geburts is place of birth, wohnort is where where they lived (place of residence). If it's the same place they were born and raised there.
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

This might help.

Heidel: A German emigrant’s ‘Geburts-und Wohnort’ can be f... Read more on Genealogy.com!
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hello kylejustin.....as others have said it means "place of birth & residence"....if it's one place, the person was both born & lived there (& it looks as if that should be the case because it only says "place" not "places"), but if there are 2 place names, then the first will be where they were born & the second will be the last place where they were resident......unless it says something else besides the place names, of course

Comment

Hi Kyle,

Ozgirl has hit the nail on the head and is 100% correct.

Brian

Comment

thank you everyone. there is just one word in this column for every passenger, the next column says landes, so the country they were from is put down.

so i take it my ancestor was born in clausthal, hanover. now i have a nice place to start at least!!

Comment

Hi Kyle,

The full name of the town is "Clausthal-Zellerfeld". The town is situated in the "Harz Mountains". The town is situated south of Hannover. I have been there many times skiing. It is about 3 hours drive from where I live in Germany. If you need an more info on the town, just let know. I can get you leaflets of the town for you from the tourist office there, if required.

Brian

Comment

hi brian,

thanx for that. i did learn that those 2 towns were unified in the 1920's. it does sound like a really lovely place. it was also a minning town too, which fits with my ancestor's father's occupation.

i would like to see a tourism leaflet of the town, if it isn't an inconvenience. it would be nice to visit one day.

Comment

hi Kyle,
                  As soon as the Christmas holidays are over I will give the tourist bureau in Clausthal-Zellerfeld a ring and get one or two brochures for you. As soon as the brochures arrive I will send you a PM - then maybe you can send me a PM with an address to where I should post them to.

Brian

Comment

that would be lovely, thank you brian. hope you have a merry xmas!

Comment

Hi Kyle,

Clausthal-Zellerfeld have already acknowledged my email request for brochures - just a matter of "waiting out" until they arrive.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by EquilibriumYaw View Post
                        hi Kyle,
                        As soon as the Christmas holidays are over I will give the tourist bureau in Clausthal-Zellerfeld a ring and get one or two brochures for you. As soon as the brochures arrive I will send you a PM - then maybe you can send me a PM with an address to where I should post them to.

Brian
                        Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                        that would be lovely, thank you brian. hope you have a merry xmas!
                        Originally posted by EquilibriumYaw View Post
                        Hi Kyle,

Clausthal-Zellerfeld have already acknowledged my email request for brochures - just a matter of "waiting out" until they arrive.

Brian

It appears that the process is already advanced, otherwise I was going to suggest that it might have been easier to contact the bureau directly and get them to pay the postage!

Tourist Information Clausthal-Zellerfeld
                        Bergstraße 31 (Dietzelhaus, OT Zellerfeld)
                        38678 Clausthal-Zellerfeld
                        Tel. 0 53 23 / 8 10 24
                        Fax 0 53 23 / 8 39 62
                        info@oberharz.de
                        www.oberharz.de

Like most German places there's a dedicated website: http://www.clausthal-zellerfeld.de
                        Sometimes they have multiligual versions, but this one appears to be only in German, so you might have trouble navigating, if you aren't familiar with the language.

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

ooh can't wait brian!

ooh, that looks interesting christine! i've been wondering how to proceed with records, maybe they can recommend a researcher.

Comment

Hi Kyle,

the brochures have arrived from the Clausthal-Zellerfeld tourist bureau - can you send me a PM with an address to where they should be posted to in Australia.
                            Don't worry about the postage - it is all part of the service from one member to another!

Brian (alias EquilibriumYaw)

Comment

exciting!! have pm'd you.

Comment

Hi Kyle,

send me those German 1810 and 1843 images and I will translate them for you.

Brian

Comment

thank you brian, i have send them. i can make out the names of the child and the parents, but the rest of it is just scribble. can't make out anything to put through a translation even.

Comment

Working...
                                  X