Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows Essentials ,Does anybody know why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Essentials ,Does anybody know why?

Since installing this when I go on certain sites I get pop ups of Items from a Catalogue which I recently viewed and consequently ordered .
    I also get pop ups on FMP and some other sites.
    Is there a way to change the security settings to stop pop ups without stopping them from sites where they are needed .
    Thanks

What is Windows Essentials?
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I wonder if Val means Microsoft Security Essentials - I know she installed it recently.
      Elaine

Comment

I hope so Elaine. There is a Fake Windows Essentials out there. I hope she hasn't downloaded that one.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

If you are using Internet explorer 8
          Look at the right of the 'tabs' and you should see a dropdown link called TOOLS
          From this you can select IE8's Pop up blocker
          It has the option to allow popup from specific sites

Researching:
          FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
            I hope so Elaine. There is a Fake Windows Essentials out there. I hope she hasn't downloaded that one.
            The fake one is a drive-by application that makes out to be Microsoft Secuirity Essentials and tells you that you have an infection.
            This trojan program is easily removed with Malwarebytes
            The official version should only be downloaded from Microsoft

Researching:
            FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

oops sorry yes thats what I meant thanks Wendy and Elaine ,and I did download it from Microsoft, thanks Trevor will have a go

Comment

I'm using IE9 and cannot work out how to add a site to the pop up blocker ?

Comment

Click on Tools>Pop-up Blocker. In the menu that appears make sure top line reads "Turn off Pop-up blocker", if it reads "Turn on Pop-up Blocker" click on it to turn it on. Now click on 'Pop-up Blocker settings' and follow instructions.
                  Last edited by Old Holborn; 19-12-11, 15:25.
                  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....om/~steveabye/

Comment

privacy.jpg
                    this is what I have and cannot work out how to only add certain sites to the pop up blocker thanks

Comment

Pop-up Blocker.jpg

When you click on the 'Settings' button in the 'Pop-up Blocker' section you will get the box to add site addresses. Make sure the box 'Turn on Pop-up Blocker' is ticked.

Restart Explorer after adding addresses.
                      Last edited by Old Holborn; 20-12-11, 13:45.

Comment

Thanks again OH I must be dense as according to that box it says allowed sites?

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                          Thanks again OH I must be dense as according to that box it says allowed sites?

The important part is where it reads "Address of website to allow". ;)

Comment

Working...
                          X