Getting round Snippet View on Google Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting round Snippet View on Google Books

Thought I'd pass on a tip I found on http://www.medievalgenealogy.org.uk/google.shtml#outsideusa - refer to latter if you want more background detail.

We in the UK are more restricted than those in the USA when it comes to what we can see in the way of whole books - copyright dates and so on.
    Using an anonymous proxy server (example below uses www.proxify.us) is one practical way around this. You can do a Google Book search and may well find that you are able to see far more of a book than if you had searched from the Google UK site.

Go to www.proxify.us.
    Enter Google.us.
    Scroll to Books and search as normal.

I've had a lot of success reading things that were only available as one or two lines previously. Hoorah!

Nickie

That's very useful to know, thanks, Nickie.

Comment

very useful, especially for old books!

Comment

Oh the joys of Google. I have just discovered on page seven of a results search (yes that does sound a bit sad, but sometimes it pays off....) that a telescope - engraved and presented to my great great grandfather in 1885 for a research paper he did - had a bit part in the film "Back to the Future III". Would you believe it, just sold two days before, on a Hollywood memorabilia site. I'd never have afforded it though.
        Probably my most memorable Christmas present finding this.

Comment

Oh what a lovely find! but like you say, probably way out of your price league, but, a great find all the same!
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Yes it is about time the American pirates caught up to Europe and the UK.
            Such "copyright breaches" are killing the industry.
            The short-term gain in reading copyright works in such a manner are far outweighed by the producers over here being put out of business.
            Cheers
            Guy
            Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

A lot of the snippets I get on Google book search appear to be from books that are long out of copyright, yet you only get a snippet, so I can't see any problem in reading the whole thing on a US site if it's available.

Comment

Working...
              X