ordering irish certs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ordering irish certs

i found a possible death cert for a relative, in 1887, but when i go to the 'apply online' page at irish GRO, it takes me too a new site, were it appears i can only order certs from 1921 onwards. how do i order a cert pre 1921?

Is it Northern or Southern Ireland you are referring to? I have ordered pre 1921 online before.
    For NI you can also order by telephone or there is a form to download and maybe you could fax it?
    Not sure for Eire.
    Margaret
    Last edited by margaretmarch; 16-12-11, 12:42.

Comment

I have looked around the NI site and see they do have a fax for applications http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/gro41_death_cert_app.pdf
      Margaret

Comment

it's antrim, northern ireland. it would be so much easier if i could do it online, cheques are just too complicated and time consuming.

Comment

i'm having trouble with pdfs at the moment. will have to take a look on the other computer.

Comment

I ordered 1891 death certificates by downloading the form and then sending it by post to the office in Roscommon (I think) and I asked for a photocopy of the original record which was cheaper. Took about 2 weeks to come.
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

If you manage to get the form downloaded you can fax it with your card number on it so no need for a cheque.

Margaret

Comment

Kyle -
                Have you checked familysearch to see if the records are there? familysearch has the index of the index, but also has an index to some of the actual civil registrations - I know I was able to retrieve two civil reg births from 1864 & 1867 in Antrim from film.

Comment

thanx wendy, i might have to do that if as photofamily says, the index is on familysearch.

margaret, another good point.

photofamily, i have pm'd you back!

Comment

I just ordered a death cert for 1891 in Lisburn Co Antrim and whilst the form is not easy to complete I was able to do it here http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/do-...ertificate.htm

The worst is you have enter 'unknown' in some of the fields such as 'spouse name' and 'street address'. I put the name of the registration district and county in the other address fields and that seemed to work. I'm not sure the cert I have ordered is for one of mine but thought I'd have a look.
                    Margaret

First link did not work
                    Last edited by margaretmarch; 18-12-11, 10:11.

Comment

I just tried the GRO Ireland site for a marriage and found the same as you, nothing possible for before 1922.

I have emailed them to find out what to do, will let you know when I get a reply.

Margaret

Comment

Hi. Here's how to get certificates from the Irish GRO in Roscommon. If you don't already have the reference for the cert you require, go on to the familysearch site mentioned earlier in the thread & search for it. The details you need are the year (and quarter e.g. Oct-Dec, after 1878), registration district, volume and page number. Any other details for the record on the familysearch site aren't relevant for the GRO. Request a photocopy of the entry, you don't need a certified copy of the entry for family history.
                        If you have the reference as above, the cost is 4 euro, if not the cost is 6 euro to cover the cost of a search. Then you can either download the form from the Irish GRO website and fill in these details, leaving most of the form blank, or just write them out, clearly, on a sheet of paper. You can pay by credit card if you include the details in your letter, or a cheque (though I don't know if they accept sterling cheques). The GRO website is not geared to people researching their family history, but there's no problem getting the cert(s) you need. I have found that they usually send the certs out within 2 weeks. Happy hunting! dublincat

ps. I should mention you can get certs for all of Ireland from the GRO in Roscommon before 1922. From 1922 onwards just for the Republic of Ireland.
                        Last edited by dublincat; 19-12-11, 00:36. Reason: extra info

Comment

thank you margaret, i just ordered the cert from the link you posted. i would very much like to know if the GRO site for 1922+ tells you to order from the GRO in roscommon.

thank you dublincat, i will keep that tip in mind, i may need to chase the informant on this death to see if i can get anywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by dublincat View Post
                            Hi. Here's how to get certificates from the Irish GRO in Roscommon. If you don't already have the reference for the cert you require, go on to the familysearch site mentioned earlier in the thread & search for it. The details you need are the year (and quarter e.g. Oct-Dec, after 1878), registration district, volume and page number. Any other details for the record on the familysearch site aren't relevant for the GRO. Request a photocopy of the entry, you don't need a certified copy of the entry for family history.
                            If you have the reference as above, the cost is 4 euro, if not the cost is 6 euro to cover the cost of a search. Then you can either download the form from the Irish GRO website and fill in these details, leaving most of the form blank, or just write them out, clearly, on a sheet of paper. You can pay by credit card if you include the details in your letter, or a cheque (though I don't know if they accept sterling cheques). The GRO website is not geared to people researching their family history, but there's no problem getting the cert(s) you need. I have found that they usually send the certs out within 2 weeks. Happy hunting! dublincat

ps. I should mention you can get certs for all of Ireland from the GRO in Roscommon before 1922. From 1922 onwards just for the Republic of Ireland.
                            Welcome to FTF and thanks for the tip. The problem is many people wanting certs or copies are not in the UK and sending a form by post is a bit of a hassle. I tried the site and it won't let you order anything from before 1922 online. The NI site does allow that and for anything in NI I think it's a better site even though you have to pay more. I quite like having the certs rather than copies but that's down to personal preference and I accept it is dearer.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                            X