Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed to make links - Hartle family Derbyshire

Hello everyone
    I think I'm nearly there on researching my step daughter's maternal side for her Christmas present!! I am waiting for certificates, but I'm not sure whether they will be here on time.
    I have son George Hartle born Hayfield in 1920 March 1/4
    His parents are a George Hartle noted as Coal Merchant but deceased by 1940, on his son's marriage certificate - father George was married to mother Minnie Wild Sept 1/4 1915 Hayfield.
    It is the father, George I'm trying to track back (already sorted Minnie's family) - was he the George Hartle born 1895/6 in Mellor (I thought he too was born in Hayfield) - is this his family, father yet another George, mother Elizabeth, sister Enid, on the 1901 and 1911 censuses living in Saddleworth????
    The more I look the more concerned I am that I am reading this wrongly!
    Any help, just another pair of eyes checking would help.
    My thanks
    Rachel

If George jnr was born in 1920 and by the time he was married in 1940, his father had died, then there's a death of a 45yo George Hartle in Hayfield district in 1935 that would seem to match.

If that is right, then George snr would have been born in 1890. I've looked on A******y and found a George Hartle b. 1890 who on the 1891 census is the son of Thomas and Eliza and it says b. Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbys. By 1901, his place of birth is given as Bugsworth Hall, Derbys and in 1911, he's still with his parents and siblings living at The Grange, Low Leighton, New Mills, Derbys. He's a "factory labourer" and his father is a "stone mason".

Does that help, or merely confuse?

STG

Edited to say : And New Mills is just along the road from Hayfield, so in 1911 he was defo in the right part of Derbyshire.
    Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 15-12-11, 14:45.
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Wow STG that is interesting!!!!! And makes so much more sense, re places, as you rightly say - everything in the wider family happens in New Mills, Hayfield and Chapel en le Frith - Thank you so much, that has me on a new track
      Rachel

Comment

His service records are on A******* Born 1890 Coal dealer, 9 Jodrell St, Newtown, New Mills married to Minnie Wild 7/7/1915 St Marys, Disley, Cheshire. Son Frederick born 20/5/1917 Newtown.

Moggie

Comment

On the 1911 census George's older brother John, age 29, is listed as a coal merchant ...

STG
          Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

btw folks, you can say 'Ancestry'.. :smilee:
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thank you so much Moggy and STG - the World War One records were the most detailed I have ever seen, oh and what a naughty George he was, offering Sick Leave notes to people in hospital for 2s 6p !! Was court martialled for that and got 56 days!! But thanks to you all I am now on the right track - it just goes to show I was correct to be concerned about the other record which was not correct.
              Have a brilliant Christmas everyone
              Rachel:xmas_sign:

Comment

Working...
              X