Proprietor of Houses.....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proprietor of Houses.....?

Does this mean what I'm thinking it means......? Did he own houses?
    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

I have always taken it to mean owns a house/houses and gains an income from renting them out. Don't need to be big posh houses of course! They could be little hovels but someone presumably owned them and let them, often to many families at a time.

Anne

Comment

Yes that's what I thought too Anne. This is in 1861, says head of house age 66 is proprietor of houses. Which I'm now thinking could be the case, as he became my gg grandmother's second husband, and it appears that several of her children were also living on the same lane in Canterbury. He is 15 yrs older than her, her first husband having died at 27. She had 5 children in total, but I don't think she had any to her second husband. if that's the case, it looks as though she came up in the world somewhat, considering she had her last child in Maidstone workhouse.....and no husand then.
      Jen

Comment

These are the general instructions to the householder from the 1851 census.

'Persons following no profession, trade, or calling, and holding no public office, but deriving their incomes chiefly from land, houses, mines, or other real property, from dividends interest of money, annuitie,s &c., may designate themselves 'Landed Proprietor', 'Proprietor of Iron Mines', 'Proprietor of Houses', 'Fundholder', 'Annuitant', &c., as the case may be. Persons of advanced age who have retired from business to be entered thus - Retired Silk Merchant, Retired Watchmaker, &c.
        Phil
        historyhouse.co.uk
        Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Many thanks for the explanation/description Phil. Very useful to know.
          Jen

Comment

Working...
          X