family search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• family search

Hello I am new to this site and I am trying to find the mother or indeed father of John Stowell Ashworth born 1837 in Halifax I have all the census records and marriage records for him but can find nothing about his parents. I am a world member of A**try so if anybody needs any look ups I am more than willing to help if I can

cheers
    tigzak:o

Welcome to Family Tree Forum.

Do you have the marriage certificate which would give you father's name and occupation.
    What is the earliest census record you have for him?
    Elaine

Comment

Have you checked this one?

John Ashworth
      baptised 7 Sept 1837 - St John the Baptist, Halifax
      Parents - Ephraim and Betty

Elaine

Comment

Hi yes I have his marriage certs. but fathers name crossed out thats why I think he did not know who his father was. the earliest census Ihave is 1841 when he is dowen as John Stowell junior, but in 1851 he his down as John Stowell ashworth on both of these he is with his grandparents Stowells.

He is burried in his second wifes family grave (but not his wife) with his uncle Christopher Stowell this made me think that this could have been his father but who knows. ( there are no other stowells in that grave or indeed in that cemetary)

cheers
        tigzak

Comment

thankyou but this is not him He did not know who his father was and either his mother died or gave him up because at least from 1841 he was brought up by his grandparents.

cheers
          tigzak

Comment

Can you give the 1851 census reference please.
            Elaine

Comment

I can see John with his grandparents in 1841 and 1851, in Bradford, and I notice that he says he was born Shibden on one of the later censuses. He is recorded as aged 2 in 1841. There are two older daughters in the household, Ellen, recorded as aged 15, and Martha, recorded as aged 20. Ellen married John North in Bradford on 10th August 1841, and one of the witnesses was Martha Stowell. Ellen was baptised in Bradford in 1822, which would make her 19 in 1841, her age was correctly rounded down on the census. Martha married Alexander Hodgson 3rd September 1848. She was baptised in Bradford 17th June 1818.

My guess is that either Ellen or Martha was John's mother. It was quite common to leave illegitimate children with grandparents when the mother married someone who was not the child's father. I do find it surprising that he later becomes Ashworth though. Maybe his father was around, and acknowledged him. What is the crossed out name on the marriage certificate? Perhaps Ellen or Martha were in service in Shibden. I should be inclined to look for Ashworths around both Shibden and Bowling to see if there is a matching name.

Anne

Comment

I've just answered my own question! John's father's name is not crossed out, it's got a line in the space for father's name and occupation, to indicate that John gave no information about his father.

Anne

Comment

Hi tigzak,

Welcome to Family Tree Forum from the BBC and hope you find all the answers to your family questions here.

Enjoy the board and you will find it less restrictive here and a useful personal message system for things you can not say on the public boards

Edna

Comment

With the 1841 census giving his age as 2, I would have thought that might have been a more accurate year of birth (c1839) than the information on the later censuses.
                    You would therefore expect or at least hope to find a birth registration - but I can't see one. :(

Sorry, am still having difficulty finding them him in 1851 - can someone give the reference please.

Have you found any reference to the Ashworth name prior to his marriage?
                    Elaine

Comment

I think this is it Elaine - he is on the next page to his grandmother -

On second thoughts though I can't see the connection with this one that I think we are talking about in 1841 -

I think I need to go back to bed - I have just realised that Tigzak said he was with grandparents named Stowell both times. Please ignore the above :o
                      Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 14-12-11, 09:08.
                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I think this is the family Elaine. They are in Bradford.

1841 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...recoff=6+19+20

1851 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=12240634

Anne

Comment

There are possible John Ashworth births in Halifax in 1839 but not John Howell.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                            There are possible John Ashworth births in Halifax in 1839 but not John Howell.
                            Chrissie, aren't we looking for Stowell, not Howell?
                            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Marmaduke 123 View Post
                              I think this is the family Elaine. They are in Bradford.

1841 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...recoff=6+19+20

1851 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=12240634

Anne
                              Thanks Anne, was going round in circles looking for the 1851!

So in 1851 he was recorded as aged 12, therefore born c1839 - so again we could hope for a birth registration - and I see the Ashworth name appears on this entry.
                              Elaine

Comment

I see on the 1851 census that grandfather John Stowell is shown as a Proprietor of a Mill.
                                Have you followed him through to his death and then looked for a will to see if that has any useful info.
                                Elaine

Comment

Sorry Elaine, I meant Stowell - am leaving the scene until had more sleep

Comment

Possibly just co-incidence, but there is a married couple, Hannah and James Ashworth, a couple of households above the Stowells in 1851. Will try to find this James in 1841.

Anne

Comment

I can't identify him with confidence in 1841, but I have found his marriage to Hannah Wooler, 26 Oct 1850, Bradford. Father named as John Ashworth, James Ashworth a widower aged 26. I can't see an earlier marriage in Yorkshire for James.

Anne

Comment

Thanks Elaine
                                        1851 cesus ref john stowell born 1791 ( grandfather)
                                        page 29
                                        piece 2309
                                        folio 493
                                        household shedule 116
                                        ep1t
                                        hope this helps you
                                        if you look at the document it shows the john Stowell then evrybody under him is ditto " then sits John "(ditto under the stowell name ) then Ashworth.
                                        Believe me that took some finding I feel like Miss Marple ha ha

Cheers tigzak (Carol):xmas_sign:

Comment

Working...
                                        X