• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Greenwood and Isabella Ann Renwick

Hi everyone,

can anyone help with the following research:

William Greenwood, b. ca. 1844 -1845 location not known
    d. 21.05.1882 at 5 Stansfield Street, Middlesbrough.

Isabella Ann Renwick, formally Ford
    b. 04.05.1842 in South Hetton
    d. 04.01.1891 in Middlesbrough
    buried: Linthorpe Cemetery, Middlesbrough

William and Isabella had two children:

William, b. 13.06.1876 in Embleton
    d. 03.02.1900 in Union Workhouse, Middlesbrough
    buried: RC Cemetery in North Ormesby

Charles, b. 25.07.1878 in Norton
    d. 13.04.1951 in Middlesbrough

In the 1891 census for Middlesbrough (Linthorpe Parish), William (junior), Charles and George Ford were all living at:
    5 Stansfield Str. Middlesbrough.

Isabella was previously married to a Henry Ford in 1866. Her known children from this marriage were: twins Hannah and Margaret b. ca. 1868 and George b. ca. 1868 - 1872. George Ford died in a Sanatorium on 21.01.1898.

Isabella's parents were John Renwick, b. 1811 and Margaret Hay, b. ca. 1818.

I have the following copies of BMD certificates:

B. for Isabella, William (junior), Charles.
    M. for Isabella and Henry Ford
    D. William (senior), William (junior), Isabella, George Ford

Unfortunately, on the death cert. for William (senior), the christian name of his mother (as informant) is not legible.

Can anyone provide answers or any other information to the following questions:

a. Who were the parents of William Greenwood (senior)?

b. When did William and Isabella marry and where?

Many thanks,

Brian
    Last edited by EquilibriumYaw; 13-12-11, 14:46.

Hi Brian

This seems to be the family in 1881

RG11, piece 4856, folio 24, page 42

15 Stansfield St, Linthorpe, Middlesbrough

Head Isabella FORD 37, married, dressmaker b South Hetton
    John George FORD 16 son
    Margaret Ann FORD 14 daughter
    Hannah FORD 14 daughter
    William FORD 4 son
    Charles FORD 2 son
    William GREENWOOD unmarried, boarder, 36, labourer general, born Middlesbro

I'm not sure that Isabella and William ever did marry. He died in May 1882 and they weren't married in the 1881 census. Do you know what happened to her first husband? It may be that she wasn't free to marry
    Last edited by Night Owl; 13-12-11, 16:53.
    Jackie

Comment

Hi Jackie,

many thanks for your quick response to my posting - the information that you have given basically confirms what I have already - unfortunately, I do not know what happened to Isabella's first husband. The info contained in my posting is everything that I have at the moment to go on.

regards,

Brian

Comment

Sorry to be slow but are you saying that the children were registered as Greenwood, or that William Greenwood's name appears on the certificate as father? If he acknowledged paternity, I wonder why the boys did not use his surname?

OC

Comment

Hi OC,

William (junior) and Charles were definately registered as Greenwood (to which I have supporting evidence i.e. copies of their birth certificates)
          Concerning Isabella's other children from her previous marriage to Henry Ford - I assume they all carried the name "Ford" even during Isabella's relationship with William (senior). (John) George Ford was apparently also known as John Renwick - all very confusing!!!

Thanks for your help so far,

Brian

Comment

Unfortunately, on the death cert. for William (senior), the christian name of his mother (as informant) is not legible.
            are you able to crop the cert (with an editing program) and post on here for us to have a look to see if we can decypher it? failing that if you would like to PM me I will give you my email address and I will have a look for you and crop/post if you would like.
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

from looking abit further back, it would seem that Isabels first born was John b.1866 he is listed as John RENWICK
              margaret & hannah b. 1868 as FORD

1871: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...751057&recoff=

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 4966; Folio: 130; Page: 11; GSU roll: 847429.
              Julie

Comment

hmmm

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
                Julie

Comment

margarets bapt

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Hannahs bapt

Julie

Comment

Julie

Your post #7 (I can't follow the link as I don't have ancestry) but is it possible that Renwick was his middle name and the enumerator mistranscribed it as a surname?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                      Julie

Your post #7 (I can't follow the link as I don't have ancestry) but is it possible that Renwick was his middle name and the enumerator mistranscribed it as a surname?

OC
                      I suppose it is plausible, I can't see a likely birth for him in 1866 so its looking like he was baptised and not registered. Though how it is listed, it gives the twins names first aged 3 as FORD and then John afterwards as a RENWICK aged 5

1871:
                      John Renwick 60
                      Margaret Renwick 53
                      Isabell Ann Ford 27
                      Margaret Ford 3
                      Hannah Ford 3
                      John Renwick 5

which, to me suggests he was illegitimate.
                      Julie

Comment

With Brians permission I can now add a cropped version of the death cert, can anyone make out the informants initial & name??

any help would be most appreciated folks.
                        Julie

Comment

Brian, maybe it might be worthwhile contacting the register office that supplied the cert and ask them if they could check their records as you cannot make out the mothers first initial, or ask if the registrar that wrote out the cert could offer any help.

at first I thought it was a Y, but, am not sure now.. sorry I can't be of more help

(obviously if you are sending an email you could attach the cert, so they can see it themselves)
                          Julie

Comment

it looks like 'j' to me. it is not the same as 'y' in 'york'.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                              it looks like 'j' to me. it is not the same as 'y' in 'york'.
                              I see what you mean Kyle, though, if that is the case then is that another 'J' that is part of the doctors name? that certified the death? cos that looks more like a J to me than the other one.
                              Julie

Comment

possibly a screw up, i'd ask the local RO, for a copy of the death. that one looks like it was written in the 20th century. it does not look like one the GRO should have from 1882. i have a few from the GRO that have been written out in the present day.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                  possibly a screw up, i'd ask the local RO, for a copy of the death. that one looks like it was written in the 20th century. it does not look like one the GRO should have from 1882. i have a few from the GRO that have been written out in the present day.

not sure what you mean Kyle, this cert IS from a local office, not the GRO. (which is why I suggested that Brian contacts the office and emails them the copy to see if the registrar is still there that wrote out the cert) maybe they can tell him what the inital is.
                                  Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

thanks for your help with the photo etc. I have sent an email to the Middlesbrough RO (from where the cert was obtained) with a request for clarification.
                                    I will inform you of the outcome,ok.

Brian

Comment

Hi Kyle,

many thanks for your input - I have emailed the Middlesbrough RO, requesting them to clarify what that "initial" is in column 7 of the cert. The certificate copy was as you rightly guessed -transcribed in the 20 Century - to be exact in 2004. I will inform you of the outcome,ok.

Brian

Comment

Brilliant Brian, hopefully the registrar will be able to help, if they can't make head nor tails of the letter, then, they should be able to check their registers and look at the original entry :smilee: will look forward to the reply
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X