Were you born or Married in 1952? BBC Nostalgia Programme Request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were you born or Married in 1952? BBC Nostalgia Programme Request

Hello and apologises for interrupting your forum.

My name is Mark Ferguson and I am a researcher working on a new BBC1 series looking at life in the 1950s. The programme will feature first hand interviews complimented with our rich archive from the era.

I am looking for people from all over the UK who were born in 1952, the babyboomers, to talk about their memories and experience throughout the 50s and 60s.

I am also trying to find some couples that were married in 1952, or started a family then, again to discuss their lives and how things have changed now. I'm especially keen to speak to people who were part of the war effort too.

If anyone is interested in having a chat I would love to hear from you and you can send me a private message and include a phone number or email address and I will get in touch. As I said, the programme will be a hark back to the era and look at how life was. If we went ahead, we will travel to you, and record a short interview, keeping inconvenience to a minimum.

I hope to hear from some for you, this would be a lovely way to record some special memories.

Best regards,

Mark Ferguson
    BBC Northern Ireland

Hi no I was not born in the year 1952, I was born in 1947 but do remeber the Queen coming to Bradford after her coranation, I went with my father to see her I sat on his sholders waving a little flag there were what seemed to me thousands of people there, where has that time gone it seems like yesterday and now she will be celebrating her diamond jubilee next year

regards
    tigzak

Comment

This would have been perfect for my Nana and Grandad, born 1925 and 1930, married in 1952.

Grandad passed away a couple of years ago and my dear Nana last month.

Good luck with it, I shall look out for it when it comes on TV, sounds interesting.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

I too was born in 1947 and one of my earliest memories is of the coronation and the street parties. I can remember when fruit like oranges and bananas became available again after the war and the first time we had ever seen such wonders. My orange was splattered against a wall as I though it was a ball. And the banana was almost consumed with peel intact, as mum forgot or just assumed we would know how to get into it. Hardly events of signifigance, but not ones you forget.
        I'm sure many of us could relate small and insignificant events, trends, customs etc of the era. Along with some long and outdated traditions, as well as now unknown items of day to day clothing e.g, the 'Liberty bodice', etc.
        And the Monday wash day routine with dolly tubs and scrubbing boards, and coming home from school to man the mangle and so on and so forth.......
        Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

Hi Mark

I was born in June 1952 and am interested in your project. I did note you were from BBC Northern Ireland. Currently living in North East England, I was born in London and spent my childhood in Sussex. My family returned to London and I spent my teens there. I did manage to go to one of The Isle of Wight festivals and was into Hippydom and later protest movements.

Well, maybe I'll hear from you.

All the best

Ayse

Comment

Originally posted by ayse View Post
            Hi Mark

I was born in June 1952 and am interested in your project. I did note you were from BBC Northern Ireland. Currently living in North East England, I was born in London and spent my childhood in Sussex. My family returned to London and I spent my teens there. I did manage to go to one of The Isle of Wight festivals and was into Hippydom and later protest movements.

Well, maybe I'll hear from you.

All the best

Ayse
            Ayse, I would love to get a chat, if you could forward me a contact number to mark.ferguson@bbc.co.uk I will get in touch for a chat. Look forward to hearing from you.

Best Wishes,

Mark Ferguson

Comment

Originally posted by Jen~Ealogy View Post
              I too was born in 1947 and one of my earliest memories is of the coronation and the street parties. I can remember when fruit like oranges and bananas became available again after the war and the first time we had ever seen such wonders. My orange was splattered against a wall as I though it was a ball. And the banana was almost consumed with peel intact, as mum forgot or just assumed we would know how to get into it. Hardly events of signifigance, but not ones you forget.
              I'm sure many of us could relate small and insignificant events, trends, customs etc of the era. Along with some long and outdated traditions, as well as now unknown items of day to day clothing e.g, the 'Liberty bodice', etc.
              And the Monday wash day routine with dolly tubs and scrubbing boards, and coming home from school to man the mangle and so on and so forth.......
              Jen, I would love to get a chat, if you could forward me a contact number to mark.ferguson@bbc.co.uk I will get in touch for a chat. Look forward to hearing from you.

Best Wishes,

Mark Ferguson

Comment

Originally posted by Jen~Ealogy View Post
                Was Monday every-bodies wash day then, I to was born in 1947, you did not need a calender to know what day it was, just saw what mum was doing, if she was ironing it was a Tuesday. The mention of oranges brought back memories as well, it was a valued present in my Christmas sack, imagine a child today finding that instead of latest of latest phone or x box.
                My biggest regret in doing my family tree is did not start when mum was with us, would love to have heard her take on some of things have found.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg13 View Post
                  Was Monday every-bodies wash day then, I to was born in 1947, you did not need a calender to know what day it was, just saw what mum was doing, if she was ironing it was a Tuesday. The mention of oranges brought back memories as well, it was a valued present in my Christmas sack, imagine a child today finding that instead of latest of latest phone or x box.
                  My biggest regret in doing my family tree is did not start when mum was with us, would love to have heard her take on some of things have found.

Me too Mike. Yes you did know what day of the week it was by what mum's were doing on the day.
                  agree too aout the fruit. We always got an orange or tangerine, a few nuts and if we were lucky perhaps a 6d naked plastic doll from Woolworths and or a magic painting book. I can remember finding same one xmas in my stocking and going into my brother's bedroom to find him playing with a train set.....looking at my pathetic plastic doll, I was quite miffed and asked my brother if i could play with his train set.......no such luck, I was barred from ever going near it lol!
                  Children today certainly do not know they are born.....we were always greatful to get whatever the purse strings would allow....which was never very much.
                  And the highlight of our summer holiday was to take bottles of water and jam sandwiches into the local park and have a picnic.
                  Hightlight of the week was the Saturday flea pit.....which very often my brother and his best mate would sneak into via a side door, as they resented forking out the thrupenny piece entrance fee, which they could spend on sweets instead.
                  I remember the one and only 'real holiday' mum and dad took us on, a week in a caravan at Rhyl. It poured all week (as it will in Wales),,,,,and we saw more of the inside of the van than Rhyl.
                  Dad once won a competition and the prize was a day out at Windermere......when we arrived on the charra forecourt....dad proceeded to take out his knarled stub of pencil carried around in his top pocket, found some scrap of paper and proceeded to make a note of the charra's reg no.
                  My brother, quick as a flash piped up 'Why bother dad.....it's the only blue charra for miles!?' Very happy days.........but a child today looks at you as though you've lost the plot, when you try and relate such things lol!
                  Jen

Comment

Hi Jen, Loving your memories, and would love to get a chat, if you could forward me a contact number to mark.ferguson@bbc.co.uk I will get in touch for a chat.
                    At this stage I would just like to have a quick chat and take it from there. Look forward to hearing from you.
                    Best Wishes,

Mark Ferguson

Comment

Hi Tigzak, thank you for the reply. I would love to have a quick chat if that would be ok? if you could forward me a contact number to mark.ferguson@bbc.co.uk
                      At this stage I would just like to have a quick chat and take it from there. Look forward to hearing from you.
                      Best Wishes,

Mark Ferguson

Comment

Originally posted by mark101 View Post
                        Hi Jen, Loving your memories, and would love to get a chat, if you could forward me a contact number to mark.ferguson@bbc.co.uk I will get in touch for a chat.
                        Best Wishes,

Mark Ferguson
                        Email sent Mark
                        Jen

Comment

Hiya Mark ...I was born in 1951 and my wife was born in 1952.....her father was an ex POW from the Ukraine..he fought with the Germans and was shot and captured in Italy. He arrived in Britain in 1945 as a POW and was sent to work on farms in England to help with the food shortage...he married a Garston,Liverpool girl in 1950 ...his name was Kabluckyj...my wife was born in 1952 and had a terrible life as a child in school......with a name like Kabluckyj , you can imagine the bad times she had ......even TODAY her brother gets refused work at the age of 51....cos people on the other end of the phone think he is a Polish worker who has come here for work....and for the record - until his death ,my father in law ,Ostap Kabluckyj had to report to the police station the 4th Friday in every month to sign to the effect he wasn`t a practising Communist..The system considered him a Russian because the Ukraine was incorporated into the USSR...He HATED the Russians because they had gone into Ukraine prior to WW2...like most Ukrainians ,they joined the Germans to fight the Russians....that is basically all the info I know...I honestly do not think my wife will open up her heart about her childhood - little things like her diet for instance ...her mum had to cook Borsch and buy Rollmop Herrings and all types of weird food that was hard to get hold of, because that was the food /diet her dad had grown up with...I remember when we were courting, my wife walking around the shops eating Garlic Sausage / Salami /Pickled herrings etc like we would eat a Kit Kat or a packet of crisps....and you could physically see shop assistants step back when she approached them because of the smell of the food...but my wife couldn`t see what was wrong as she had grown up with it...no wonder she got stick at school...lol......allan
                          Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                          oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                          adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                          merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                          coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Born in 53, so no use here, but Monday was washing day! You could also tell what day of the week is was by what was for tea.
                            Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

Yes I was born 1956 and Monday was definitely wash day. You also knew what day of the week it was from what they served up for school lunch.
                              CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Originally posted by Sue at the seaside View Post
                                Born in 53, so no use here, but Monday was washing day! You could also tell what day of the week is was by what was for tea.
                                Hi Sue do get in touch for a chat, we have widen the remit and would love to have a chat. Drop me an email to mark.ferguson@bbc.co.uk and we can arrange a good time to have a chat. Best wishes. Mark Ferguson

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
                                  Hiya Mark ...I was born in 1951 and my wife was born in 1952.....her father was an ex POW from the Ukraine..he fought with the Germans and was shot and captured in Italy. He arrived in Britain in 1945 as a POW and was sent to work on farms in England to help with the food shortage...he married a Garston,Liverpool girl in 1950 ...his name was Kabluckyj...my wife was born in 1952 and had a terrible life as a child in school......with a name like Kabluckyj , you can imagine the bad times she had ......even TODAY her brother gets refused work at the age of 51....cos people on the other end of the phone think he is a Polish worker who has come here for work....and for the record - until his death ,my father in law ,Ostap Kabluckyj had to report to the police station the 4th Friday in every month to sign to the effect he wasn`t a practising Communist..The system considered him a Russian because the Ukraine was incorporated into the USSR...He HATED the Russians because they had gone into Ukraine prior to WW2...like most Ukrainians ,they joined the Germans to fight the Russians....that is basically all the info I know...I honestly do not think my wife will open up her heart about her childhood - little things like her diet for instance ...her mum had to cook Borsch and buy Rollmop Herrings and all types of weird food that was hard to get hold of, because that was the food /diet her dad had grown up with...I remember when we were courting, my wife walking around the shops eating Garlic Sausage / Salami /Pickled herrings etc like we would eat a Kit Kat or a packet of crisps....and you could physically see shop assistants step back when she approached them because of the smell of the food...but my wife couldn`t see what was wrong as she had grown up with it...no wonder she got stick at school...lol......allan
                                  Hi Allan, do get in touch for a chat, we have widen the remit in regards to age and would love to have a chat. Drop me an email to mark.ferguson@bbc.co.uk and we can arrange a good time to have a chat. Best wishes. Mark Ferguson

Comment

Mark, what sort of nostalgia info are you after from people born ca 1952? My DoB is 1951... but I suspect I form part of the immigration figures for that year, because my father was in the forces at the time, and I was born abroad.

Christine
                                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

my gran was married in 1953, she emmigrated to australia in 1972 though, so i don't know if she could be much help?

Comment

I was told that the year of babyboomers was the year that I was born in 1947
                                        Joy

Comment

Working...
                                        X