How can I show non-married as Partners on a Chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I show non-married as Partners on a Chart

Anyone know how I can show non-marrieds as Partners on a Chart?

FTM fails again! :D
    As far as I am aware it isn't possible to indicate the relationship on a chart. You can show it in Reports by setting the relationship status on the Person page.
    Elaine

Comment

On FH you can say whether they are Married, Separated, Divorced, Unmarried Couple, Never Married or Unknown and on the Charts/Diagrams, you can then choose dotted or crossed out line ..... ;)
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I nearly added again ... "I am sure it's possible using Family Historian"

Perhaps we are using the wrong program David!
        Elaine

Comment

Many thanks Elaine (again!) and Caroline, I'll follow up your suggestions.
          Elaine - I "cheated" and on the Chart put Jacs marrying husband Tim twice. The first shows their joint daughter, and the second shows Tim's two daughters by his late wife. i.e Jacs step daughters. Not ideal but does the job.

Comment

As Elain has said, you can only show the relationship as 'Partner' for the reports in FTM
            This program has never given us the option for a different connecting line (ie dotted etc) for partnerships.
            You would think with all the updated versions that they keep churning out, they would fix what is a fundimental weakness?

I have resorted to putting the marriage date as 00/00/01
            This shows it as 1AD as a visual reminder in my charts that they were never married, but would be really confusing for people looking it in the future

Researching:
            FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks, You would think with all the updated versions that they keep churning out, they would fix what is a fundimental weakness? is exactly my feeling. As I am primarily interest in the tree chart I have resorted to entering their surname as "Bloggs (ptnr)". I also find it irritating for everyone on the tree chart to be labeled "div" just because you want to show the one in fifty who are divorced. It is if you expect them all to get divorced and they are being tardy in letting you have the details! Also irritating is not being able to show step children on a chart. At least I have managed to get over that by pretending that they are joint children and then changing the surnames. Where the surnames are the same I have shown my niece marrying her husband twice and then show their joint children from one husband, and his children from the second husband! Sure to cause confusion for future generations when they only look at the entered info & not the chart!

Comment

Goodness me, David, what a palaver! You might sometime like to examine the trial for Family Historian from the link above. The trial is fully working, you just can't save any work from it until you buy the full version. A new version will be coming out in the New Year I think.

I know it would be a massive step to learn to use a different program but BECAUSE you like to use charts/diagrams so much I would really recommend you have a look.

Anne

Comment

At the rate FTM seems to be going backwards, rather than forwards, I think we all might be trying it out Anne! :D
                  Elaine

Comment

Thank you both. I'm doing nothing more for the moment, but picked up the hint from both of you re Family Historian and may well have a go. Meanwhile I have other things in my life which at this stage may involve lying in a darkened room until I get my sanity back. Happy hols, and thanks again. This has been my first forray into a Forum and it's been both fun and helpful. David. PS I notice your little logos and location but cannot imagine how they got there. One day perhaps.......... Out of interest(?) I am in Berkshire.

Comment

Working...
                    X