Irish pre 1901 census??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish pre 1901 census??

Anyone know my best course of action here please.

I have my gg grandmother Deborah Brosnahan (or Brosnan on some records). I don't know when or where she was born but presume about 1820ish and in Ireland. At some stage she married Patrick Bowler. The children start around 1849....all in Gearha. Baptised at either Gearha and Firies. These places are currently in Farranfore, Kerry.

Now 2 of the sons, John and Patrick (my g grandfather) go off to NZ and marry there.

I have a photo of presumably Deborah (because that is what is written on the back) as an old lady about 1890. The photo is taken in Hobart Tasmania. I have no idea if it really is her or not and I had no idea she left Ireland.

I have searched everywhere for a death for her in Aus and NZ and Ireland. I found a death of a Deborah Bowler aged 87 in 1899 in Kerry and got that cert. Unfortunately I doubt it's her as the informant is her son, Patrick. That Pat is in Ireland and still there in the same town in 1901, whilst my Pat is in NZ.

Any ideas where else I might look???

Could she have remarried and have changed her surname? What happened to Patrick? Have you found his death?Did he go to Tasmania and die there?

Comment

Fran.............I have no idea...lol

Her eldest daughter, Mary, married in Kerry in 1868 to Michael Hussey. They had two daughters and some sons. Michael died when the daghters were about 15 and they were sent to NZ to their uncles and aunts. I've never found even when the uncles went to NZ.

I've looked everywhere I can thnk.

Comment

There are a great many Bowlers listed on the Victorian shipping records.....some have NZ/Tasmanian references, but no way for me to know if the entries are relevant. Have you looked at this link?

Beverley

Comment

Thanks Bev.....................I remember looking at that ages ago. I must see if there's anyway of getting more info. None of the ages work for old Deb though......lol

Comment

Working...
          X