Carlisle and Cumberland lookups offered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Office: Carlisle and Cumberland lookups offered

I've just paid my first visit to the new Carlisle Archives. A wonderful new building attached to an attractive old house. So much improved from the previous cramped conditions at Carlisle Castle.

I am happy to do any research there for anyone. I don't have any family of my own from Cumberland. I need excuses to continue visiting!

Anne

Hello Anne

I am researching the Clemetson/Clementson family of Cumberland

My 4x great grandfather was Williamson Clemetson, born in Parton, Moresby Parish, Cumberland 1791. His parents were Wilfrid Clemetson, a Butcher and Gentleman Inn Keeper in Whitehaven, and Margaret Stamper. Wilfrid moved to Parton around 1782, from his birth parish, Sunderland, Isel Parish, Cumberland, where he was born 1744 to John Clemetson a linen weaver, and tennant on Baron Lawton's estates, and his wife Hannah Fisher.

Anything you could find on them would be much appreciated, specifically, I am missing death/burial records for any of them. Margaret I know must have died around 1805, because Wilfrid applied for admin on her estate in 1811 by which time she is described as 'being dead six years'. He was also listed in the 'Notable inhabitants of Whitehaven' that same year. No trace of him after that date though.

No rush on any of this, but any help you can provide would be very welcome.

Regards

Richard

Comment

Awww! Sadly it looks as though Whitehaven records are actually at Whitehaven, Richard. I will check at Carlisle next time I'm there because I have found (in other counties) that they duplicate the fiche for parish records in each of the county archives.

EDIT: I was wrong! There are microfilms at Carlisle for all of Cumberland. The website meant that the actual books for West Cumberland are kept at Whitehaven.

Isel records are kept at Carlisle, though if you weant those looking at.

Anne
      Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 19-01-12, 13:54.

Comment

Hello Anne

Thank you for getting back to me.

Anything on them in Isel certainly would be appreciated. I have a shaky line of them there back to a Williamson Clemetson circa 1660, 3xg grandfather to mine (I think!). I imagine wilfrid's parents John and Hannah died there, as I have him on Baron Lawson's estate lists into his fifties, so even their burials would be fantastic.

Regards

Richard

Comment

OK, I'll see what I can see on CLEMETSONs in Isel. Hope to go next week

Anne

Comment

Thanks Anne

Comment

Richard, sorry, Christmas got in the way and I haven't time to go to the Archive until after the hols. I'll be able to do a proper job for you then with no time pressure. Happy Christmas!
              Anne

Comment

No problem Anne, in no rush at all for the info. Hope you have a great Christmas!

Comment

Richard
                  I found the following in the The first volume of the Marriage Registers of Cumberland, (Workington & Moresby) I don't know if they would be any help to you

L

Edward Chapelow [Chaplow], husbandman,
                  & Mary Clementson ... ... 22 May 1780

John Clementson, of Whitehaven, p. St. Bees,
                  & Sarah Sewel, of Parton ... ... 12 May 1754

Thos. Clementson, age 19, cabinet maker, p.
                  St. Bees, & Jane Waddington, age 14,
                  with consent of parents, lie. ... ... 26 Feb. 1797

George Bowe, age 27, hatter, p. Brigham, &
                  Margaret Clementson, age 21, lie. ... 23 July 1811

Michael Clarke, age 20, mariner, of Whitehaven,
                  p. St. Bees,& Nanny Clementson,
                  age 23, lie. ... ... ... 20 Feb.1812

John Clementson, p. Westward, husbandman,
                  & Elizabeth Tickle ... ... 29 July 1821

Joseph Clementson, p. St. Bees, & Hannah
                  Adamson, lie. ... ... ... 25 Feb. 1828

Comment

Thanks L, two there are definite relations, and a couple of maybes. Much appreciated.

Comment

Hi Richard. Managed to get to the Archives at last. I have a list of CLEMENTSON (and variants) at Isel. PM me you email address and I'll send them to you.

Anne

Comment

Terrific, Thank you Anne, have sent you a PM.

Comment

Could you please help with a birth date 1890 or 1891 of Hannah Elizabeth Charters born Brigham, Cockermouth and the deaths of both her and her Scottish spouse William Wallace (don't laugh LOL). All I know is they were deceased by 1949, the year of the marriage of a daughter of theirs in Dumfries. Also the birth date of the said daughter but I'd have to pm her name as I think she's still alive in a nursing home. She suffers from dementia and was married to a late uncle of mine. They had no children.

Comment

No Problem! I'll PM you my email address and you can send me some notes I can take with me next time I go to the Archive.

Anne

Comment

Just a quick post to say that I have discovered that all the Cumberland records are on microfilm at Carlisle. Their rather confusing website meant to say that the actual books for West Cumbria are kept at Whitehaven.

About to send you some more Clementsons, Richard!

Anne

Comment

Have got your email Anne, many thanks for looking this up for mre

Comment

Richard. Got some more Clementson burials from Whitehaven and also a memorial inscription from Isel. Sending you an email.

Anyone else need any lookups? It only takes me 8 minutes to get to the Archive!

Anne

Comment

Thank you Anne, have sent you an email. Regards Richard

Comment

Anne & Richard,
                                      As a Cumbrian child I recall "Clemmisons" living just west of Carlisle.
                                      I never saw it written down but that's certainly how my parents pronounced it. Could it be a corruption of your Clementsons?

Brian
                                      Brian

Comment

Hello Brian

That is very interesting. The family seems to have mostly gone with Clemetson/Clementson on records, but I have seen them recorded as Clemitson, and even once as Clempson with my branch that moved down to London. A reflection no doubt of how they pronounced it!

Regards

Richard

Comment

Working...
                                        X