Service Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service Records

I am trying to plan a trip to London for February as OH would like to view his father's service record. Can someone please tell me if / where this is possible.

Thanks

Oops, sorry about the typo in the Subject, I can't change it!
    Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

do you mean Army records Lynne? if this is the case then it'll be TNA I would think.

(oh and I sorted your typo :smilee
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Depends when and in what service he served. Ist world war army records, if they survived the damage caused in WW2 are at TNA in Kew. Records for soldiers serving post 1920 (I think this is the cut off date) are with War Office and can only be obtained by the servicemen themselves, or by proved next of kin. I've only ever heard of people ordering and being sent these, not going to a centre to see them. Other services may have different rules - I'm sure someone on here will know.
      Here's the link to info in FTF reference library http://www.familytreeforum.com/conte...itary-Research
      Last edited by JudithM; 06-12-11, 13:32.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks Julie, and for correcting my typo.
        Judith, it is the WWII army record I was wanting. I thought you had to go and view them. I will have a look at your link for the procedure. He is the youngest of 3 so could he be considered next of kin, as his mother is also deceased?
        It was going to be a surprise break for our 20th Wedding Anniversary so I will look elsewhere now.
        Thanks again.
        Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

As Judith has said the later army records are available to the serviceman or his next of kin. Your OH could apply for them with permission from his older sibling.
          I am the youngest of 3 & got my fathers records with permission from my sister, cost about £30 & took about 4mths. I believe the time is closer to 6mths now.
          Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Wow Vivienne, that's a long time! Thanks.
            Lynne

Comment

The only way to get WW2 records is to send for them and pay £30. I sent for my father's and all I had to do was send evidence of my relationship to him and a copy of his death certificate. I did not have to show that I had permission from anyone but I believe I signed to say I was next of kin.

I only waited 2 months so it is variable.

Margaret

Comment

It's a few years ago but I had to apply for my father. Point is; they're in Glasgow !.....Historical Disclosures, Army Personnel Centre, MS Support, Mail Point 535, Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, Glasgow G2 8EX. Address is from a letterhead and phone number is/was 0141 224 8034. I presume if the number has changed there will be some advice. Good luck.

Comment

Does anyone know...

Are WW1 RNR Service Records available on-line? Or are they only available to view at Kew?

Cheers, Holly.

Comment

Some are available to download from Documents Online (TNA)
                    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                      Some are available to download from Documents Online (TNA)
                      http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...nline/navy.asp
                      Thanks Elaine,

I've looked through again, but I can't find him there. (I've been unable to find his Service Record at Kew either, which is very frustrating!)
                      He joined the RNR as a Midshipman in 1916/17 and was invalided out in 1919 as a Sub Lieutenant. Before this he was an Able Seaman with The Taylor and Sanderson Steam Shipping Company, - but I can't find him in The Merchant Navy records either:-(

He was Evan Douglas Wilson, born Swansea 27/5/1896, died Wembley 27/6/1957.
                      Holly.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                        Bless you Elaine!

Yes, thats definately him. Now why didn't I see it?

Have now downloaded the record, - after about 30yrs (off and on:-) searching for it.

Many, many thanks, Holly.

Comment

Hi Lynne,

There is a MOD Form "Request for details of an Ex-Serviceman/woman - Search document" and a Certificate of Kinship
                          Once you have completed these forms they should be sent to the following address:

The Army Personnel Centre
                          MS Support Unit, P & D Branch
                          Historical Disclosures, MP 555
                          Kentigern House,
                          65 Brown Street
                          Glasgow G2 8EX

You should be aware, that information from the personal record of a (deceased) Ex-Serviceman/woman will only be released to the official Next-of-Kin (which you must prove by completing the a/m "Certificate of Kinship" form. Incidently, there will be a fee to pay for this service.

I have a blank copy of the a/m forms (6 in total, one of which is an explanation on how to fill-in the forms correctly. I can send you a copy, but do not know how to upload it to the Forum.
                          Should the person in question have served in another Arm of the Forces i.e. RAF, Navy etc. -their addresses are also provided on the forms.

Brian

Comment

Working...
                          X