Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Martha Mitchell Shaw - connect the dots....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martha Mitchell Shaw - connect the dots....

Hi,
    I need some help putting her together.

Do you think these records all belong to the same person? These records are presented in chronological order of the event.

1) Marriage to James Atkinson Shaw, 19 Jul 1847
    St James the Baptist Church, Hoxton
    Father: William Mitchell (tinplate worker)
    (can't remember abode & my ancestry sub is expired)

2) Baptismal records, St Thomas Charterhouse, Finsbury:
    Martha Mitchell, born 21 Jun 1824
    adult baptism: 29 Jun 1851
    abode: Cottage Lane, City Road
    Parents: William Mitchell (tinplate worker), Martha

3) Census, 1851, Martha Shaw
    born about 1826, St Lukes, Middlesex
    living Clerkenwell (Sorry, no sub)

Not to prejudice you, or anything, but: do the locations tie together well? Don't you think the William Mitchell, Tinplate worker is pretty solid identification? There is another William Mitchell, TP worker, but he is married to Sarah, and I've not found a child named Martha for him.

Also, the first six children of William & Martha Mitchell were baptized St Luke Old Street, Finsbury

Please let me know what you think.

Some information in this thread is also explored in another one:

Thanks
    Sarah

The 1851 Martha is married to James and has 2 children - Martha 3 and James 5mths. They are incorrectly indexed as Sham

Somebody called Phil G Jones has notified an amendment to the 1851 entry also showing her as Mitchell and saying

"This is her maiden name, from their marriage certificate and the birth certificates of their children"

It would appear he is also researching this family
    Last edited by CaroleW; 06-12-11, 00:13.

Comment

Yes, I've been in contact with him, and we are debating if his Martha is my Martha (!). I.e., is Martha, the daughter of William (TP worker) & Martha Mitchell, the same Martha Mitchell who marries James Shaw?

Comment

i don't really see anything in the info that suggests otherwise. i would pencil it all in, keeping in mind that the other tin plate worker could be the one.

Comment

Thanks, Kyle - I was hoping you'd comment on this!
          Sarah

Comment

The locations tie very well- all in same area as my Tin Plate worker George Manley(you remember the one I reckon was hiding at same time as your lot ) and his family, who used all three of the churches you mention. By the way shouldn't that marriage venue be St John the Baptist, Hoxton?
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Yes, St John - I was copying what Phil had written. I think he was sidetracked by James' name.

I think I asked before - did you search TinPlate worker's records? What about Ancestry's new London freedom records?

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                Yes, St John - I was copying what Phil had written. I think he was sidetracked by James' name.

I think I asked before - did you search TinPlate worker's records? What about Ancestry's new London freedom records?
                I've looked in the Society of Genealogists library and at those Ancestry records. Think a visit to the Guildhall library is called for next.
                What I find really frustrating is that George's wife Charlotte seemed to disappear after he died. Presumably she either died or remarried but I can't find her. Do you find, as I do, that these ancestors who are difficult to track down somehow mean much more to me than the lines which stayed in country parishes for ever and were easily traced way back?
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I'm exploring an ancestor that I think is mine, but I can't prove it. This ancestor actually left records to be found. I'm enjoying uncovering them as he becomes more than just dates for BMD.

I just wish I could prove his grandson was my g'g'grandfather.

I don't know when you're ancestor became a TP worker - BO has indexed the apprenticeship records for TP workers - I think thru 1800, maybe later. Of course, perhaps like my ancestor, he skipped the apprenticeship process. And he could have gained Freedom by Redemption. Or not sought the Freedom at all.

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                    Think a visit to the Guildhall library is called for next.
                    If I understand correctly, Guildhall records are now at LMA

Comment

Hi,
                      2) Baptismal records, St Thomas Charterhouse, Finsbury:
                      Martha Mitchell, born 21 Jun 1824
                      adult baptism: 29 Jun 1851
                      abode: Cottage Lane, City Road
                      Parents: William Mitchell (tinplate worker), Martha
                      Somewhere, somewhere, I asked another question about this baptism, and I'm not seeing it, and now I have a follow up to that one:

Previous Question: would a married adult, when baptized as an adult, be baptized with her married name, or her maiden name.

Previous Answer: as I recall, I was told that this was the Christian of the person, and it was her maiden name and the parents' surname that was was used. (OC, wasn't it you that mentioned it?)

New Question: What address would have been entered for abode - address at birth, or address at the time of the baptism?

Comment

i would say address at time of baptism would be added.

Comment

Thanks, Kyle

Comment

but i have seen on the forum somewhere, of someone's ancestor who baptised as an adult, and her married name and hubands name was on the record, along with her parents details.

Comment

Relationship now supported with DNA evidence

Comment

I forgot to add:

Thank you to all of you who encouraged me to think Martha was a good candidate for being a child of my William & Martha Mitchell. The adult baptism threw me for a loop, especially since she was married and the record has no mention of her married name. It was when I chased down her line that I encountered a correction on Ancestry that lead to the cousin to match to. See - Ancestry errors, and the opportunity to correct them, can be useful!
                                Last edited by PhotoFamily; 18-06-13, 14:32.

Comment

Another DNA confirmation: we were finally able to compare my father's second cousin results to Martha Mitchell's descendant's results - they have significant matches, including over one of the same segments that my father shares with Martha's descendant.

Joy

Comment

Another DNA confirmation: we were finally able to compare my father's second cousin results to Martha Mitchell's descendant's results - they have significant matches, including over one of the same segments that my father shares with Martha's descendant.

Joy
                                    oh that is great news Sarah!.. well, done on that detective work..
                                    Julie
                                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                                    X