Findmypast records list??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Findmypast records list??

I'm thinking of asking for a full sub to FMP for Christmas. Just been looking at what records they have. Although the list is long and looks very useful, when it comes to "parish records" that's all it says. I would like to see a breakdown of which parishes they cover but can't find it anywhere! Am I going to get different parishes to those on Ancestry? And are they all transcriptions?

I know several of you have both Ancestry and FMP. What do you personally like from FMP that you can't get elsewhere?

Anne

Records on Findmypast and not on Ancestry which I use include, amongst other things, a fair number of the indexes and transcribed baptisms, marriages and burials that used to be on the FamilyHistoryOnline site which belonged to the Federation of Family History Societies (but annoyingly there doesn't seem to be a list of which societies records are included), also records such as Boyds Marriage Index and London Burials which belong to the Society of genealogists and London Docklands baptisms.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I find it useful too for census records as sometimes cannot fnd them on Ancestry but do on FMP owing to mistranscriptions.

Comment

Hi Anne, this may help..................

Findmypast help centre can support with your account, using the site and finding genealogy resources with step-by-step guides and frequently asked questions

Comment

they have a version of the NBI, i don't know if it is the latest version though. they have most of cheshire with images. wiltshire is well covered i think. somerset seems to be covered after 1800.

the transcripts are much better, and they are also adding the scottish census. so in my opinion, soon the only thing to choose between ancestry and findmypast will be which parish registers they have.

Comment

Findmypast will always be geared more towards UK interests, but unfortunately if you have, as I have, many ancestors that emigrated to America/Australia and Canada, as well as other places, then a sub for Ancestry Worldwide is a must, as well as a sub for FMP. Also FMP.ie is now getting more and more Irish records which I also desperately need, so I am going to have to bite the bullet on that one some time soon, as I am finding a tantalising number of my ancestors on this site, but have not yet paid a sub!

I prefer to use FMP for the census and Digitised BMD from 1837 and earlier for Army records. Still many transcription errors but when you do find them and correct them, they accept your changes MOST of the time!!

Some counties are better than others for parish records on FMP. Northamptonshire has many wills and other information which I have found interesting, short on the ground for actual Births, Marriages and Burials but I am finding that slack taken up by Free Reg which is very good for Northants info. Dorset and Hampshire are well covered and they happen to be OH's counties of interest so we are quite happy at present.

Overall if you have mainy UK ancestors I would go for FMP as their coverage of
            parish records will get much better. If you have army ancestors then you will have a problem unless you can get to a Library giving you free access to Ancestry for one hour. If you have American/Canadian or Australian ancestors then you have a headache but again can use the library and if you have Irish ancestors you do have a real problem!!!

Janet
            Last edited by Janet; 06-12-11, 09:56.

Comment

Thanks for the advice folks. Specially to Susan h ..... I searched high and low but failed to find that page. Thanks!

Anne

Comment

When I felt that I couldn't justify maintaining both FMP & Ancestry subs, I decided to drop the Ancestry sub, because I can get free access, at my local branch, to the Library Edition. Recently, they came up with a sufficiently tempting offer and I succumbed to it as my Christmas present from OH (it's obviously easier to use direct from home)... but I shan't renew unless they are (at least) equally tempting next time.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I subscribe to both, and I prefer FMP for census records, and especially 1911! I haven't found any info from their parish records though. Ancestry has so many errors but is brilliant in so many ways - eg they have lots and lots of Liverpool records (many errors but still...). If and when Ancestry get the full 1911 I will consider cancelling FMP. It is so expensive to keep both going. But I would miss it!
                  Best wishes, Polly

Begley - St Helens & Liverpool & somewhere in Ireland; Foster - Liverpool & Yorkshire (Ripon & Leeds); Pendleton - Huyton & Liverpool; Milnes - Leeds & Ripon; Banister - Preston; Wales - Liverpool & Cumberland; Ireland - Prescot; McDonough - Liverpool; Quirk - Liverpool; Hunt - St Helens; Tickle - St Helens

Comment

Originally posted by polly88 View Post
                    I subscribe to both, and I prefer FMP for census records, and especially 1911! I haven't found any info from their parish records though. Ancestry has so many errors but is brilliant in so many ways - eg they have lots and lots of Liverpool records (many errors but still...). If and when Ancestry get the full 1911 I will consider cancelling FMP. It is so expensive to keep both going. But I would miss it!
                    I did miss having Ancestry at home, and the library access is very clunky, but I worked out that I could make best use of it by doing searches at home, so that I could go more or less straight to what I wanted when I got to the library. And I could download images etc onto a flash drive to bring home with me. But - as I said - it's certainly eaier to get access from my home computer, and not have to trek up to the library, booking a computer for an hour, and being limited by opening hours.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Ancestry have now indexed 1911 for Wales, suggesting that England may not be far behind. In the mean time they have the original images which can be browsed and using the summary books it is easy to pinpoint any household if you know the head, but unfortunately as far as I can see you cannot obtain the RG14 reference (but if anyone knows how to do so please tell me). Choosing between Ancestry and FMP is difficult and we don't know what new records each will add in the future.
                      People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
                      Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

I just received an email from Ancestry offering FTM 2012, plus a Microsoft wireless mouse plus 6 months sub to Ancestry Premium plus some other bits and pieces all for £39.99. I assume this is available to anyone, not just the recipients of the email.
                        People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
                        Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Working...
                        X