Robert Brooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Brooks

In a burial record for Robert Brooks - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=10303737 - there is D D under his name. I think that I have seen capital letters under names before, and under other names there is also the letter N, too; but I cannot remember the reason for them. Does anyone know, please?
    Last edited by Joy Dean; 05-12-11, 16:37. Reason: addition to title
    Joy

No idea but I'd love to know the answer. I don't have any London burials.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

All the names in that register seem to have either D, DD, HD or N after them. I have no idea what they mean but thought listing all 4 might help.
      Looking again it seems most of the entries with N were either still-born or very young (1 or 2 weeks old)
      Last edited by JudithM; 05-12-11, 20:07.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
        All the names in that register seem to have either D, DD, WD or N after them.
        Is it not HD, rather than WD ?
        Elaine

Comment

Sorry Elaine, I was then correcting that when you posted.

Could it have been a charge - HD - ha'penny, D-penny, DD- tuppence, N - no charge??
          Last edited by JudithM; 05-12-11, 20:10.
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
            Sorry Elaine, I was then correcting that when you posted.

Could it have been a charge - HD - ha'penny, D-penny, DD- tuppence, N - no charge??
            I wonder if that is it.
            Joy

Comment

I'd buy that - it sounds logical. Mr Brooks had quite a posh address.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you.
                Joy

Comment

I suspect we need Guy to help out on this one. It's the sort of technical knowledge he has stashed away!

I was all set to go with the 2d, 1d 1/2d 0d idea until I got back several pages (image 14/41), where entry 915 has "ED". And there are one or two "N" examples earlier where the children are more than infants 3 - 5 years old. I didn't see any more which were "DD"*, but on image 13, entry 903 is "EDL", and there's a 7-year-old with N.

*Found one at entry 806 on image 7.

Christine
                  Last edited by Christine in Herts; 07-12-11, 12:38.
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have had a helpful reply from Westminster Archives, as follows:

In St Margaret’s church registers (and St John was a joint parish with St Margaret) D D means “double duty”, ie paying double for the burial. There are other abbreviations, eg GD (great duty), CD (child duty) CN (child nils, ie no fees). I don’t know what they mean in practice, only that it was to do with the fees charged for the burial. There are other abbreviations for where the graves were, eg MY (St Margaret’s churchyard), CV (chancel vault), GV (great vault).
                    Joy

Comment

How very helpful!

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                      X