Help!! in 1841

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!! in 1841

Having done extensive research on all of my families, upon checking I find I am missing my x3Grandfather on the 1841 Census.
    I think I MAY have had this at one time. Can I borrow someone's eyes to search also please. The main people I would expect to find are:

Details:

Thomas Richards b.1771 Penzance
    Margaret Richards b.1804 London
    William Richards b.1811 London

There maybe Lodgers with them because from 1851 to 1861 Thomas owned a Lodging House in Guildford Street, Clerkenwell, he died in 1862. His 2nd
    wife Margaret together with William, her stepson, remained there for the remainder of their lives.

Although Thomas was born in Cornwall he came to London between 1806 - 1811. He married Margaret Reeve in London in 1836.

It might be worth mentioning that I cannot find William's birth in 1811. I definitely had this once. He was born in Shoreditch, son of Thomas Richards (above)
    and Elizabeth Ladner. I originally found this many years ago on the IGI but something else I cannot find now.

Any "helpful eyes" much appreciated.

dreeny

HO107, piece 659, book 9, folio 16, page 25

Guildford Street
    Thomas Richards 60 not born in county carpenter
    Margaret Richards 35

William isn't there
    Jackie

Comment

Sorry, can't find William on the 1841 census, or even baptised on the London Baptisms but I have found a Thomas Richards marriage to a Margaret Rave (where the register signing occurs it is Reeve) in 1830 at Bloomsbury in Camden. I have also found an Elizabeth Richards burial at Shoreditch (St. Leonards) in March 1836.

I would also be very careful looking through the baptisms for Shoreditch, I have found a separate couple of Thomas and Elizabeth Richards, with another 2 children, Zaccheus and Elizabeth, (b 1786 and 1789 respectively, baptised in 1812). Are you sure William was born in London in 1811 and not in Cornwall ?, have Thomas and Elizabeth more children ?

Comment

Help with 1841

Many thanks for replies and the discovery.

Yes, William was born in Shoreditch where I guess they lived until the death of his mother Elizabeth there in 1836. Strange
        William is not listed. He is with them on the following two census then lived with Margaret until her death. I guess William
        has to be somewhere, 1841 difficult with a fairly common name and not showing place of birth.

Thank-you, I have that marriage where Margaret's surname is incorrectly written as "Rave" .

Again, many thanks for your help.

dreeny

Comment

Dreen,

it might be that the baptism that you had before was a submitted entry on the LDS, the new site does not list these now, and only has extracted records on it.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thank-you Julie, I was not aware of that. However, I would have expected to find it on Ancestry,s Baptisms, but cannot find
            anything. I shall have to think hard on this one. The 1841 Census eluded me simply, I suddenly realised, because it was entered
            as Richard not Richards.

A further search for William on the 1841 census for William, who was not living with his family, brought up a possible entry in Norton Folgate
            so I shall keep that in in mind for now. I think William,s absence may have been due to his new young stepmother (well young compared to his father)
            who was his age. That said 5 years had elapsed since that marriage.

dreen

Comment

hmm I did have a look for William but like you didnt find much, I did wonder if he went back to Cornwall (as he didnt appear to be in london).
              Julie

Comment

A further search for William on the 1841 census for William, who was not living with his family, brought up a possible entry in Norton Folgate
                this William is a tea dealer and appears to have a wife and child. As your William is a carpenter, would this be a likely jump of occupation?

Julie

Comment

Working...
                X