Grive/Grieve - Renfrewshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grive/Grieve - Renfrewshire

(the name is actually Grieve, but was spelt incorrectly in the 1841 census below)

Ancestry co uk shows 1841 census
    Alexander Grive abt 1825 Renfrewshire, Scotland Paisley Low Renfrewshire 559
    Janet Grive abt 1839 Renfrewshire, Scotland Paisley Low Renfrewshire 559
    Jean Grive abt 1831 Renfrewshire, Scotland Paisley Low Renfrewshire 559
    John Grive abt 1826 Renfrewshire, Scotland Paisley Low Renfrewshire 559
    Mary Grive abt 1807 Renfrewshire, Scotland Paisley Low Renfrewshire 559
    Mary Grive abt 1829 Renfrewshire, Scotland Paisley Low Renfrewshire 559
    Peter Grive abt 1806 Renfrewshire, Scotland Paisley Low Renfrewshire 559
    Peter Grive abt 1836 Renfrewshire, Scotland Paisley Low Renfrewshire 559

Could anyone please help with censuses 1851 and so on - I'm trying to work out the relationship to everyone!
    jood sadly died in November 2019.

Do you have the citation as I am coming up with a different family when looking for Alexander GRIVE b c 1825 in Renfrewshire.
    To add - sorry - same family just the order is mixed up in yours from mine
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Not having much luck!
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Strange, all I have is an entry from Ancestry.co.uk - exact search results - 1841 Scotland Census
        I clicked on something which said More: 106 Renfrewshire Paisley Low 20A
        and Collection Priority: Uk and Irish -not that it helps much :(
        If I click on View Record - I see nothing, as I am not a member

What I do know is My Peter Grieve Is that I am his 2nd great granddaughter, he was born 30 Nov 1805 in High Paisley, Renfrew - maybe that is the problem, thos other Grives were born in LOW Renfrewshire? He married Jane Galloway 22 Feb 1824 in Paisley Renfrew Scotland.

His parents are supposed to be Alexander Grieve & Catherine Taylor, but I have no birth death or marriage for them.

Maybe that IS the problem that the info I gave you first up is not connected, just co-incidence, and that they come from HIGH Renfrewshire - Being Aussie, I dont even know if they are different towns or what.
        Last edited by jood; 05-12-11, 02:59.

Comment

Hi,
          Just to say that it is not High or Low Renfrewshire but could be High or Low Paisley.
          Renfrewshire being a county and Paisley a town in that county so the family could easily have moved around Paisley.
          My problem is that I can't find the family in Renfrewshire in 1851. I looked for Peter junior on IGI but no success and I can't find his birth OPR in Scotlands People either.
          I have just come back to the computer so will have another look.

To add also that the 1841 census, when viewed on Scotlands People, does give the name as GRIEVE but the location is Abbey, Paisley. Still doesn't explain where they went - did they go to Australia and if so when??
          Last edited by herky; 05-12-11, 09:33.
          herky

Comment

Aww thank you Herky. Sorry I got my Highs and Lows mixed up lol

They are certainly a mystery.

Comment

Originally posted by jood View Post
              Aww thank you Herky. Sorry I got my Highs and Lows mixed up lol

They are certainly a mystery.
              Yes - a mystery indeed. Very frustrating for you.
              Do you have any censuses later then 1841 for this family?
              herky

Comment

Originally posted by jood View Post

His parents are supposed to be Alexander Grieve & Catherine Taylor, but I have no birth death or marriage for them.
                This is a submitted entry from the IGI

Katharine Taylor
                Birth: c1773 Of, Abbey (Paisley), Renfrew, Scotland

Marriage: Alexander Grive or Grieve
                Marriage: 06 JUL 1794 Middle Church, Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland
                Elaine

Comment

That marriage appears on Scotlands People
                  06/07/1794 TAYLOR CATHERINE / ALEXANDER GREEVE - PAISLEY MIDDLE / RENFREW
                  Elaine

Comment

There is a public tree on Ancestry which shows:

Peter GRIEVE
                    Birth 30 NOV 1805 in High Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland
                    Death BEF 1855 in Scotland

Jane GRIEVE (nee GALLOWAY)
                    Birth 1803 in High Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland
                    Death 03 JAN 1878 in Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland

Daughter Jane Grieve married in 1855 so presumably Peter was listed as deceased on the marriage certificate, hence his death date shown as BEF 1855.

Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                      That marriage appears on Scotlands People
                      06/07/1794 TAYLOR CATHERINE / ALEXANDER GREEVE - PAISLEY MIDDLE / RENFREW
                      Oh Well done. - I looked for all the variations of Grieve but didn't think of GREEVE.

Yes, I did see the submitted entry
                      herky

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
                        - I looked for all the variations of Grieve but didn't think of GREEVE.
                        I searched using the date and TAYLOR :D
                        Elaine

Comment

A couple of deaths which might (or might not) be relevant to the family -

1 17/11/1843 GRIEVE JANET ABBEY /RENFREW
                          2 17/11/1843 GRIEVE JEAN ABBEY /RENFREW
                          Elaine

Comment

Those two deaths are possibly the same person. Janet and Jean are fairly interchangeable.
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Do you have any censuses later then 1841 for this family?
                              I do have one (just found) - can't see the number up the top, tho it is item no. 63 (I think) for Parish of High Church, Paisley, whereby an Alexander Grieve (Lodger) Widower, 78 Camper (I think) formerly weaver - I think the place of birth is Renfr, Paisley.

I have no proof it is the same Alexander tho.

I'll get back to you later today (I hope)

Thanks for helping too, Elaine & UJ

Comment

Working...
                              X