Margaret Hillicks America Emmigration help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Margaret Hillicks America Emmigration help

Hi I found a Margaret Hillicks on Ancestry coming back from America arriving on 11th December 1951. It looks like she is on her own and I wonder if anyone has access to the outgoing passenger lists to see when she went out to America and perhaps who with.

She was the 2nd wife of my great grandfather James Hillicks. He died in Scotland on 27th March 1941 and i know she remarried a James McDaid in Scotland in 1961.

James and Margaret married in 1931 and her maiden name was Leitch. They only had one son Archibald in 1932.

Can anyone see her in the outgoing passenger lists to shed any light on why she went?

Many thanks

Steven

PS she left from New York on her way home to Scotland

Margaret D Hillicks, of 117 Coventry Drive, Denistoun, Glasgow, aged 49, housewife, sailed on The "American Manufacturer" from Liverpool 27 July 1951 for New York. Country of intended future permanent residence Scotland.
    Seems like she was travelling alone, as although there were other Scots on board they were intending to live in USA or Canada, she was the only one intending to return.
    Last edited by JudithM; 04-12-11, 15:10.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks Judith maybe a wee trip to see family? Only there about 6 months must be that or a holiday

Steven

Comment

Archibald hillicks is my grandfather and she was traveling for a holiday don't know the full story but will find out , would like to know more about james hillicks

Comment

Welcome to FTF, Shea. Steven seems to be around, so you should get a reply quite promptly... probably a very pleased reply!

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

You are right Christine!!!!! Very pleased to receive a PM and I have emailed Shea and replied via the PM as well. Great to hear from you her and hopefully share some stories - very excited!!!!!

Shea's grandfather Archibald and my grandmother Jean were step/half brother and sister - same father but when my gran's mother died very young he remarried

Steven
            Last edited by stevie2006; 13-01-13, 14:07.

Comment

It's always a delight to find that FTF has been the venue for a family link-up!

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
              X