Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with old English writing

Hello How are you all.
    I'm looking for some old ;) - who can has a keen eye for old English writing to help with some words that I cant make out. They are posted on the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wood-...614440?sk=wall
    I have heaps to go on with my family tree, its just I cant read all of the old book, someone else may have more luck, it may need proof reading.

Thanks if anyone has a spear moment

Martin Wood

Have added a bit to the first two pictures (presumably exatracts from family bible.)
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Martin
      Not sure how to add to Facebook so putting what I have found on here.
      Emelia Jane Wood, Susanna Wood & Elizabeth Broughton all buried at Pentrich St Matthew Derbyshire.
      Hugh Wood died 1814 buried 1st Feb 1814 Alfreton St Martin Derbyshire, likewise Hugh Wood died 1780 buried 24th March.
      No burial there for Mary Wood died 1823.
      Harriet Orme Wood died 1867 probate for her on Ancestry.
      Moggie

Comment

I'm not on Facebook Martin (I'm too old ;) ) but if you are interested I see that Julie (Darksecretz) has taken a lovely photograph of the church which you will find in the Derbyshire section of Places of Worship (found under Site Projects).
        There are several of us who live relatively close to this church and if you ever find out that there is a headstone or anything that you would like a photo of I'm sure one of us would be happy to take it. I would, especially if you can wait for a nice sunny day (the damp makes my old bones creak ).
        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 04-12-11, 10:35.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Looks to me like (if I am looking at the correct image)

Hugh Wood died 24th Jan 1814 aged 78
          Mary widow of Hugh Wood died July 14th aged 81 years - 1823

Christopher, son of John & Harriet Orme Wood born at No 52 Hunter St Brunswick House Co of Middlesex on Friday 14th June 1844
          Hugh Wood son of the above John & Harriet Orme Wood son born at the Time, place 30th June 1845 (but there is a splodge over the 8 and the 4 so these could be wrong and the 5 could be a 3 as it is in a bend on the page)
          Best see original register to confirm
          Cheers
          Guy
          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

The above Christopher Orme Wood is shown in registration as born Hunter Street, 14 June, father is shown as Solicitor. Hugh born 30 June 1845, baptised 10 September

You may want to take a premium sub with ancestry.co.uk if you have a lot of look ups to do?
            Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 04-12-11, 10:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
              I'm not on Facebook Martin (I'm too old ;) ) but if you are interested I see that Julie (Darksecretz) has taken a lovely photograph of the church which you will find in the Derbyshire section of Places of Worship (found under Site Projects).
              There are several of us who live relatively close to this church and if you ever find out that there is a headstone or anything that you would like a photo of I'm sure one of us would be happy to take it. I would, especially if you can wait for a nice sunny day (the damp makes my old bones creak ).
              Now Chrissie! no-one's too old for facebook - even I'm on it

Margaret

Comment

It was a joke Margaret because of Martin's comment ;)
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                  It was a joke Margaret because of Martin's comment ;)

DOH! sorry I'm older than I think - getting slow!

Margaret

Comment

Hahhaa, thanks Chrissie. I might take you up on that some time - your summer though

I visited the UK when I was younger. One day I might have take another trip and visit the past! ;D

Comment

Thanks for your help guys and girls. I appreciate all your help I'm sure when I collate all this I'll have more questions ;)

My parents are stocked that I'm looking at the family tree, it's quite nice going through all the history. I'm getting hooked!

Comment

hi Martin,

I have added comments to the headstone pictures.. btw if you download Picasa3 (its free from google) you can zoom in and enhance pictures to help identify words and little snippits that you can miss. I have found it very helpful in the past. As a matter of interest Martin which cemetery are the stones in? if they are fairly close to me I might be able to get to have a look first hand so to speak.
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                        X